Lacie vs. GTech

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I can get can a Lacie 320 GB quad-interface portable hdd for 170, or the 500 gb verson for 220. The 500GB gtech fw 400/800 is like 270 bucks and the 320 GB quad interface is 240 bucks. Why? Anything better about them?

Does anyone know about either of these drives? I want something fast, sleek, good for hd video, and maybe on the slim side. (They all need to be firewire 800) Which one fits the best on a desk next to a new 24" iMac? How slim are they?

I have a 260 dollar gift certificate to the apple store, so money is not an issue, just looking for the most bang for my buck.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. nep61 macrumors 6502

As a Video Editor, (Freelance) I have to say HANDS DOWN, that the better drive is the G-Tech. I worked at one place which owned over 40 different 500GB G-Tech drives... [I personally have the 500GB G-Raid2 at home]... I had only seen only one of the G-Raid Drives fail in my Editing experience. However, at another location I worked, I saw 3 of 5 Lacie drives go down... can't explain it... but they are probably cheaper for a reason... [That's why I bought the G-Raid2 for myself]

The G-Raid2 drives have FW 800/400 and a USB port....

Really Solid in my opinion... to me, well worth the extra few bucks.

4. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Would a g-tech g-drive be sufficient for both time machine backups and 1080i HDV video editing? Or do I need a g-raid?

Do you think I should go for the 500 or 350? How much of a difference in physical size would it be?

5. nutthick macrumors newbie

I worked for a film editing equipment hire company and we ended up switching to G-Tech as Lacie were too unreliable.

6. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I dont think there is really big difference. I had Gdrive (failed) and also LaCie Rugged (also failed):eek: I thing its just a matter of luck in those cases. Now I use LaCie rugged 160 and still going strong (couple months old).
    By the way nearly all G tech drives are out of stock on G-Tech page. Anyone noticed??