LaCie: Which to buy ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NiGoosHii, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NiGoosHii macrumors newbie

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't see any difference except the enclosure

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Forget the first one if you want 2TB - it doesn't ship for 1-3 months!!!

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

At home we have had the 1.5 Tb edition of the second one and it works perfectly with Aperture running of it using the FW 800 connection

5. djlutzker macrumors member

+ 1 for the D2. I have one of those (1 TB) working excelent since 1 year.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have the first one (black) and like it- but have not had it for a few months and only use it monthly for an extra backup to my Time Capsule.

I notice on both the amazon web site and Lacie web site it says the first one has a 2 year warranty and the second one (white) has a 3 year warranty.

Also, the second one (white) talks about 7200 rotational speed where I have found nothing on Amazon or LaCie about disc speed of the first one(black) so I assume it is 5400 rpm but I can not confirm that.

The first one (black) has only a handful of reviews but almost all are good. The second one (white) has decent reviews but quite a few low reviews too.

I think either are good drives....and if taken care of and used as a backup or is backed up on another drive then you should be good. These are not really portable drives and the black one is quite large of a footprint where the white one is a vertical and takes much less space as a result. I am unsure if you can use the black one vertically as it only has pads to be used horizontally.