Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delta0

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2018
London
13 was the first step in diverging from iOS which is important as the ipad was basically a large iphone with a few more (significant) features until that point. I hope to see further divergence as it begins to fill the gap between macOS and iOS. I hope to see it begin to take on features and capabilities from macOS. With the move to arm I also hope to see more support for macOS programmes on iPadOS (the iPad Pro is more powerful than most MacBooks! Comparable to pros). I hoped to see more of this in 14 but I hope the shift to arm will see more iPadOS changes as less effort.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
This. Scribble will be huge. I can just write “g” in Safari and the autcomplete can take me to google.com.

That is much faster than typing if you are already holding a pencil.
Don’t take this as me knocking the feature or saying it isn’t useful/convenient in certain situations, but in this scenario you can also just tap the g button on the keyboard and autocomplete will do the same thing. Even if you somehow could manage to write the letter g faster than you could tap a button, you’d be saving maybe half a second.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Don’t take this as me knocking the feature or saying it isn’t useful/convenient in certain situations, but in this scenario you can also just tap the g button on the keyboard and autocomplete will do the same thing. Even if you somehow could manage to write the letter g faster than you could tap a button, you’d be saving maybe half a second.

Yeah to be honest I was more impressed with the feature as a Developer than as a consumer. Like I see it and it is cool. Would I use it? Not that much. Does it solve big problem for me? Nope.

If I had a lot of stuff to enter as a text I would hook up a keyboard. As I cannot work with software/on screen keyboard and I am fast typing person on hardware keyboard I just have smart folio keyboard whenever I want to type something.

Are the features in Notes cool? Yep they are but I do not use Notes for my handwriting notes because it does not offer me what Notability does.

So really Scribble and Apple pencil improvements are cool but it is not something that I needed and I could have lived without them.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I would look at it as more as a replacement for the often awkward to use software keyboard, not a dedicated hardware keyboard!
When I’m set up with a hardware keayboard, it’s because I’m desk based, the pencil isn’t even involved generally, and yes, of course it’s just quicker to hit G, for example.

On the other hand, when editing, or drawing, or lounging around in bed, or reading - grabbing the pencil to quickly google something, or write this response without it having to change my position will be game changing.
Being able to use the pencil in ANY text field on any app, and still have the fine control of typed text manipulation will finally finally bring computing to the same level of natural ease of use as a pencil and paper.

Those that cannot see this, are simply not looking.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
On the other hand, when editing, or drawing, or lounging around in bed, or reading - grabbing the pencil to quickly google something, or write this response without it having to change my position will be game changing.
Being able to use the pencil in ANY text field on any app, and still have the fine control of typed text manipulation will finally finally bring computing to the same level of natural ease of use as a pencil and paper.

Those that cannot see this, are simply not looking.

Maybe it is also a matter of how often this happens for you. For me rarely as I always have the keyboard folio so even if I am drawing I can easily put it on keyboard mode and type. Also when I am in Procreate I am only there.

But if you use the iPad without the folio then maybe it makes difference.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I believe iPadOS is a temporary OS during the transition of Macs to ARM chips. I bet my everything that within a couple years iPads (at least the pro models) will be using ARM based MacOS.
Look at this brightness setting in the new MacOS in the attached. Since when do Macs have touchscreen?

1593091186038.png

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
With the scribble feature, could you for example scribble into a comment box on this site to post a reply? Or would it just be consigned to apple apps?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
.....Also when I am in Procreate I am only there......
Layer names, project names? Surely much better to not need to put the pencil down, flip the cover round, type and then reverse the process to get back to drawing.

Anyway, for me it really will be very cool.

With the scribble feature, could you for example scribble into a comment box on this site to post a reply? Or would it just be consigned to apple apps?
From what I gather, any text field. I guess apps need to update though of course.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Layer names, project names? Surely much better to not need to put the pencil down, flip the cover round, type and then reverse the process to get back to drawing.

Anyway, for me it really will be very cool.

Well to be honest the time that it takes me to write the names with the on screen keyboard would not be that much worse compared to the pencil. Like it is gain, but it is not huge one for me. I name my layers with one word and after two/three letters iOS suggests correctly what I want to write so really it is the same in the end in terms of time.

Plus I kind of have bad experience with most of the recognition features (like voice or writing). They do not work for me. It could be the case that English is not my first language but honestly those features while sounding cool work half of the time for me so they do not bring value for me.

From what I gather, any text field. I guess apps need to update though of course.

This is how I understood too but now that I think about it maybe it is indeed for Apple apps only and there is like Scribble SDK that other apps should use? No idea.

Last edited:

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Nope. It works on a system level as a keyboard alternative. Just tried it on an app that hasn’t been updated since 2016 and Scribble worked just fine there.

Cool. I may actually get an Apple Pencil for that reason then. I always found the iPad a nightmare to type on no matter how much I resize and change it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
If you are holding an iPad with one hand and the pencil in the other it is way more awkward to bring up the software keyboard and type a letter than it is to write with the implement you are already holding.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
If you are holding an iPad with one hand and the pencil in the other it is way more awkward to bring up the software keyboard and type a letter than it is to write with the implement you are already holding.

But don’t you have to still press the ENTER button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.