Lack of an eraser on Pencil big deal?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by satchmo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

A buddy of mine is thinking of developing an Apple Pencil eraser.
    He basically wants to replaces the existing cap with one that also has an integrated clip.

I suggested it wasn't that big of a deal for people to simply use on screen software to erase.
    I told him I'd ask around various forums and see what Apple Pencil owners felt. To me, it's a nice to have, but not a must have.
    Would you buy a replacement cap if it had eraser capabilities?

2. ifman macrumors member

ifman

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Have had stylus with eraser and it's just as annoying to flip that over and use it then flip it back over as it is to find each app's unique and wholly non-standard way of switching to erase. Furthermore, in reality, outside of the very simplest applications, you have to interact with the software to adjust the eraser anyway.

So no, it's not a big deal. It's really just a gimmick.

4. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

No, it's pointless because one of the key benefits of digital art is variable brush sizes, and the eraser is just another brush. An "eraser" is just a larger tip that obscures more of the screen and what you're trying to draw. And if you really want to correct a mistake you just made the undo feature is easiest of all.

5. aw3524 macrumors member

I don't know, I actually kind of found myself wishing it had that function lately. Erasing something in notability means reaching for the top of the screen, hitting the eraser button with my left hand, using the pencil to erase with my right hand, and then hitting the pencil tool at the top of the screen to begin drawing again. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but that sequence is pretty awkward.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I much prefer switching to a fine tunes eraser than using the butt off a pencil. Accuracy is key

7. Xprmntr macrumors member

Xprmntr