Lack Of Dates On News Articles

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MagnusVonMagnum, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Has anyone ever noticed news articles on the Net that have no date given with the article but they'll say things like "Last Sunday" and yet you can tell from the user comments at the bottom of the page that "Last Sunday" was like two years ago in July or something. Why on EARTH do all news articles not simply have a date stamp at the top or bottom of the article so when you search it from Google (e.g. to find out if Netflix was down recently) you don't get some stupid article saying yes it was down "Last Sunday" when that was over two years ago. This particular example was on MSNBC's web site.

To add insult to injury, the comments also say there are tweets from 7 or 8 hours ago, but this is hard to believe as well on that page because all the dated comments are from over two years ago. Do I seriously believe that these people just tweeted a few hours ago on an article that old? I think that "7 hours ago" never gets updated either and so is useless.

To add even further injury, you cannot even comment about this issue on that page without having a Facebook account, something I have zero interest in obtaining so it will continue to confound and confuse anyone looking to find out about a Netflix outage. But this is just one example of many news articles I've seen on the Net that have NO DATE associated with them on the page and so you have NO IDEA how old it is when you finally run into it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yep, I have noticed the same thing and it frustrates me. I also look for the comments to get an inkling on when an article might have been posted.

I just cannot think of a reason, why a website would do that, adding a date is probably done automatically and helps in research to know, when something like that (the article's content) has been covered.

And I also agree with that Facebook login thing, but it is the new fad, and important people have Facebook nowadays. I just do not use it, because it limits the number of friends one can have, and I do not like that. Bastards.