iPad Lack of Innovation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hypnoz, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hypnoz macrumors member

I think iPad 5 is going to be a pretty boring thing... what more can they do besides thinner/faster/lighter device?

2. OSxiPro macrumors member

OSxiPro

That is generally how technology works. Would you prefer thicker/slower/heavy devices?

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

4. irDigital0l Guest

Apple needs to be more innovative at the software side. The iPad shouldn't just be a larger iPhone/iPod.

Mulitasking, Notifications, etc. should be more OS X like.

Hardware wise, I think Apple is at or near the top.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

All of which involve innovation to some extent. Certainly a lot harder than just slapping on a larger screen. ;)

6. brendu macrumors 68020

I agree with this 100%. I want the new ipad to improve upon or at least keep battery life as good as it is on the current ipad, faster is always better. Wireless charging would be a nice touch but really I want SOFTWARE improvements more than hardware innovation.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The only people innovating on the tablet front currently are those who created the new market for them. Take a look at patentlyapple.com and check out all the innovation that hasn't hit the market yet.

Just a tip, look into apple's haptic feedback, wireless charging (true wireless charging) and solar patents.

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Absolutely.

I think the Notification Center is terrible on the iPad. Fortunately, I'm jail broken and I have OSX style notification Center now. And also OSX style notifications. And also OSX style dock.

9. hyteckit Guest

The new iPad 5 will come in 5 different colors. ;)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look at Apple's track record from the very beginning they produced a single great product that no one was expecting and from there they made small incremental improvements.
    This very abbreviated list below shows that they provided some extremely revolutionary products and every subsequent version exhibited an evolutionary improvement and not revolutionary improvement.
    • Apple II,
    • Macintosh
    • iMac
    • iPod
    • iPhone
    • iPad

This is not stay apple is not longer innovating but rather its in the genes to keep improving their current product while also working on new devices that may reshape what we thing is possible.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Easy, to name a few...Better camera/Better iOS/Better sound (Stereo perhaps)/A FingerPrint reader/Better cellular antenna, in addition to your limited upgrades mentioned above

What's so boring about the iPad 4 by the way ?

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Or rather, what are other companies doing with their tablet offering that supposedly make it more exciting than the ipad?

For them, tablet-optimised apps are still sorely lacking, they often have shorter battery life, and to skimp on costs, typically come short in some other areas like display or build quality.

13. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I just love my Surface with its click on keyboard, only 32GB sized OS and forcing me to use IMAP cause it doesn't support POP email. It's great. But I still can't figure out how to activate Hip Hop mode so I can dance like the folks in the ads

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Apples hardware is great of course there are always a few minor tweaks they always leave out so they can add them to next gen. The software is also great but it is aging and losing its luster. I think they have a pipeline of secrets but they are just milking all their current offerings in order to maximize profits. Just when everyone is disappointed by their lack of updates they will amaze.

I could be wrong.

15. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

LOL>...when you find that let us all know! I love those commercials....

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

yeah, the only thing of value to me in the last iOS update of 200 new features, was the clock - and that was only because app developers know nothing about the term "keep it simple."

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its not hip hop dancing.

18. hypnoz thread starter macrumors member

That wasn't my point -- My point was that these thinner/faster/lighter devices are only marginally better each time (well, faster they may claim large gains, but ipad3>4 was not a huge difference from a user experience perspective). Therefore not as exciting as going from an iPad1 to a 3/4. You have a diminishing returns issue at this point. I want haptic feedback and a revamped iOS (which seriously boring now and lacking many features).

----------

Yeah-- I know about their haptic system, and I want it on the next iPad.

----------

Agreed. Their use of quality materials and build quality is great compared to the competition. IOS is seriously lacking though. The essentials are basically the same since 2007, not much innovation.

19. OSxiPro macrumors member

OSxiPro

Really? My iPad 3 started to lag a bit in some intense games and special effects were disabled but n my 4 they don't lag and have full effects which for me is a must when gaming.

The most important thing about the upgrade for me was the ability to use photoshop without it lagging and crashing a lot (with my collection of projects) and on my 4 not only does it run smooth but it also does most stuff instantly which is just amazing to say the least.

You should have worded it as "not a big upgrade for people who don't game or use intensive apps" in which case I would have agreed.