Lack of iP7 Plus - Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSLRA, Sep 25, 2016.

1. VSLRA macrumors member

VSLRA

As I read a lot of discussions already I did not found any reason, why Apple is not able to fullfil orders and pre-orders. There was many opinions like, they did not know there will be so high demand, marketing strategy, issue with shipping company, relocation of current production line, quality issue with A10 or lack of production equipment for dual camera.

But still I cannot beleave, that Apple did not plan their production well. I'm from 2nd wave country, I preordered my iP7+ 128GB Mate black 8.9. already at Apple Premium Reseller (as we do not have regular Apple Store here, except Online Store). As I know, none of the 2nd wave countries received any Plus version.

So does any one know real reason for this epic fail?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Demand exceeded supply. Something like this happens every single year. It shouldn't be a surprise.

It doesn't help that Apple keeps everything under wraps and doesn't have a lot of time to build up a bunch of stock prior to releasing each new iPhone.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

So, selling out the worlds most popular iPhone Plus model to date is considered 'An Epic Fail?' Which qualifies you as completely ignorant. Congrats.

4. callihan_44 macrumors member

most of the retailers know absolutely nothing about how many or when they will get more in

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Apple does this on Purpose year after year to create Hype. ie "OMG Apple ran out of 7 Plus !!"

it creates news and hype, its like opening a New restaurant, and theres no line or interest, put if you pay a PR Firm they will hire and create a Crowd pf people to go eat at the restaurant. Now theres a line of of 20 people waiting outside that draws attention.

This is all 1st year Marketing school stuff.

Also this year More than last there is a MArginal and valid reason to show off and buy a 7 Plus, the 6s Plus is indistingiushable from the 6 Plus, But now People can flaunt their new 2 Camera Gadget.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Don't forget that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has been recalled. There is speculation that that helped drive further than expected 7 Plus sales as people just went for an alternative (most people don't care if they're using iOS or Android).

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Didn't they go a week early this year to try and take advantage of the exploding S7's? That right there would cause shortages from the factory as there was one less week to manufacture before preorder. Right idea, wrong implementation. They also shorted the carriers do avoid the class action from the IUP people they screwed over. This caused even more shortages. All in all a giant cluster ****.

8. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

Samsung sells more than Apple and they don't have supply issues.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Is this your first introduction or what?

10. kerrikins macrumors 65816

No, their timing is the same as every other year. What might have happened is that they didn't anticipate people going for the 7+ more than the regular 7, or might have a bit of an uptick due to the issues with the Note 7.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Really? I don't remember too many preorders earlier than September 9th since they moved it to the later part of the year. I could be wrong of course, but this year seemed a week or so earlier than previous preorders.

12. kerrikins macrumors 65816

It's been the second Friday of September for the last three years, so I don't see any difference.

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Do you remember a preorder earlier than September 9th. Still seeems a bit early.
    Here are the release dates since the beginning:
    Release date
    September 16th is the earliest September date ever.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

They are out there but it does not help when Apple stores don't limit what an individual can buy as a walk in when the product is scarce.

One woman had a list the other day and spent ten minutes with the store rep in front of the store and ended up cleaning that store out. First come first served is ridiculous in this case, each individual should be there if they want to purchase one to stop that nonsense, what she did should not be allowed.

15. ValiumEater macrumors regular

Poor planning on Apple's part. I used to work for Apple during the Jobs years and supply was rarely a problem. I've got to my local store twice now with the promise of a phone and they didn''t have any available. Someone done messed up.

16. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I feel like you're shifting your argument, you started off talking about pre-orders and now you're talking about the release date. If anything having two weeks of pre-orders just stacks up demand even higher for that first week, whereas only having a week lowers it. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that they've moved things up, if they'd done that then they would have bumped up their announcement and pre-orders as well.

17. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

1st year marketing school stuff eh? And where are you in the curriculum? Is it not conceivable that demand outstripped supply? Is it also not conceivable that during this time when Samsungs are getting horrible press that it's in Apple'a best interest to get as many iPhones into people's hands as possible? Purposely limiting supply when your primary competitor is down and hurt strikes me as an insanely stupid business move.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know hey "supply outweighs demand every year" is really able to sum up a situation where, by almost all accounts, the gloss device wasn't even available for launch day.

I also can't remember a time when Apple announced they wouldn't have their new phone, at all, on launch day.

I'm not here to point fingers ornssy that Apple failed or doesn't know what they're doing or whatever. But this launch was different than all others I've experienced. And I've been through them all (except the first I guess, got that about four months later).

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Aren't preorders always a week before launch? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If the release date is early, so will the preorder date be.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It's still amazes me how many people keep spouting this nonsense. :rolleyes:

21. DVDxR macrumors regular

No kidding. Every year basically the same things happen, the same topics get posted, the same gripes get... griped? I feel like there should be a "Is this your first iPhone launch? Here's what to expect!" video pinned to the top of every Apple news site when the announcement invites are sent out to journalists.

22. normanfox macrumors 6502a

this is similar to bank and its cash. on typical day, a bank has enough cash for say 100 people withdrawals. if there is a news one day that spreads panic, thousand of people come to the bank and withdraw on the same day. there are not enough cash.

you might ask that apple anticipates this date, and it should make enough iphone for everyone. let's say there are 10 factories that can produce 100 thousands phone a day. this satisfies a typical day demand. but on launch day, the demand is say 1 million phones. This requires 100 factories. well, apple can build 100 factories needed for the launch day but after that, what do the other 90 factories do? sitting idle and costing them money for machinery and human resources.

you might ask that apple can make new iphone way ahead say 6 months ahead of the launch day. these new iphones sit there to wait for launch day, costing them ton of money for 6 months. not a good business.

we are just typical consumers, and we think making phone is so simple. but this is a every complex process involving hundreds of components from several hundred vendors. it takes alot to coordinate all of supply vendors, manufacturing, and logistic processes.

23. kerrikins macrumors 65816

You were arguing that Apple jumped the gun and released the phone early. I'm saying no, because pre-orders and the announcement were at around the same time as they've done every year. You can't go by the date alone, you have to look at when it is in the month - second Friday in September, just like it's been dating back to the launch of the 5.

24. normanfox macrumors 6502a

yes, over a long period of time with huge discount. but on launch day, there are no line of people waiting and wanting Galaxy at the same time around the world.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---

Apple is the victim of their own success. iphone is too popular around the world. what can they do when people line up a week ahead just to buy a phone?

25. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

IMO there are two possibilities:

1. Apple is purposefully restricting supply in order to create demand. (Yes, artificial scarcity is a real concept and does occur)

2. Demand has actually outpaced the capabilities of the supply chain.

#2 is the most likely, as Apple doesn't need to create demand for the iPhone because it exists already thanks to the previous iterations of iPhones. The only supply restriction that they face is the limits of their supply chain.