All iPads Lack of M7 support in Retina Mini and Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by colodane, Feb 19, 2014.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Got some disappointing news today concerning my new retina mini. One of the features I was looking forward to was using the included M7 motion processor chip. This is designed for applications such as motion tracking, fitness monitoring, etc. There are now several apps available to address these kinds of functions.

Downloaded a highly rated one today called "Pedometer++". It installed just fine. But when trying to run it got an error message saying "this app requires a device with a M7 motion processor such as an iPhone 5". I had assumed that the retina mini and Air should support this application since it has both an A7 and a M7. Did some digging on the internet and found the following note:

"Though the iPad Air has an M7 chip, it does not report step counts and is not compatible with Pedometer++ and other M7-enabled apps."

This is a total bummer, as I had anticipated using the M7 capabilities. Not sure if it is a hardware or firmware issue, but it sure looks like I'm out of luck. Thought I'd pass this along in case others were thinking of purchasing a retina mini or air for this type of usage. Guess there is an outside chance that iOS7.1 might help but I'm pessimistic.

Does anyone have thoughts about how this limitation might ultimately be resolved?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Well not many people can fit an ipad air in their pocket, even if they could they wouldn't be walking around with it to count steps. It would be a waste of battery that the very small majority would use.

3. cynics macrumors G3

While I'm sure it could have it's uses who exercises with a tablet?

I've used my iPad at the gym before but it's on an exercise bike near completely motionless.

4. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I take my iPad Air everywhere... I have a iPad Sleeve for protection.

With commercial about the iPad Air versatility and how lightweight it is, I'd be more than willing to download an app that support M7.

I actually contacted Argus about their app for the iPhone, they mention it does support the iPad Air & iPad Mini... But they are not fully supporting the screen real estate for it.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

While I agree on the workouts, the M7 makes the battery drain a non0issue, that is te whole point of them adding the M7.

TS prob is apps that are not fully supported. There is a free app called steptracker, the dev is a member here, see if it works, if it doesn't then just send him a msj via MR ;)

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Then what is the point of having the M7 in the iPad if no one is allowed to use it?? Having an unused die powered up all the time is probably a bigger drag on battery. Or just having a dummy die sitting unconnected is a bigger drag on profits...

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Dedicated processing for motion in games? I was just spitballing, i didnt make the thing.

8. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

I do a lot of walking and hiking, and the iPad Mini slides easily into a sleeve on my backpack. So its size is no reason to not support the M7 chip. My biggest peeve is that Apple touts the M7 chip in its specs for the Retina Mini and the Air without any warning that the functionality may not be the same as for the same app running on an iPhone. For me, the M7 was a major reason why I upgraded my iPad with the Retina Mini.

Of course all is not lost. There are other apps that are GPS based and will work fine with the retina Mini and Air.

But I'm very curious as to both the rationale for this design decision - both by Apple and by the app developer(s) - as well as how/when this limitation may be fixed with hardware/software.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

So was I :D

I don't know if I can agree with you on that though.. If they can be used for games, they can very well be used by someone who wants to walk. Battery used is battery used? Isn't it?