Lack of Pre-ordering Stress

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TWO2SEVEN, Sep 12, 2014.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This is the first time (that I have been eligible for an upgrade) that I did not wake up and pre-order at 12am PST (2am CST). I think I want the 6, but I do not feel the "need" to have it on day one like I have in the past. Perhaps my priorities have shifted over the past two years, who knows.

After reading all of these posts about cancelled orders, processing issues, etc, I am feeling even better about not getting in to the rush this time around. Furthermore, I always get stressed out on delivery day. I think I will enjoy the peace next week as well.

I will likely wait to see the phones in the store, then decided/order. If I have to wait, I'll wait, no big deal.

Anyone else change their ordering behavior this time around?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm eligible as well, but I didn't pre-order. Mostly because I'm switching carriers. With that said, I'm also not as fired up about buying the new phone like I have been in years past. I'm happy with my 5C and spending a lot of money for the 6 is a tough pill to swallow.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I am doing what i have previous years, pre ordering is a hassle so i just go to the store on release day, havent had any problems getting what i wanted in previous years.

4. MSK5959 macrumors member

This is actually the first time I've pre-ordered, and it was pretty painless.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

Honestly, I pre-ordered but I'm not stressed about it. I go on a trip on the 23rd but if I didn't get it by then, that wouldn't be a big deal. And if all else failed, I'd try a store on the 19th.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

The stress you hear is likely from the vocal minority who had problems with their orders. There are lots of people who ordered without issue and aren't in full meltdown mode about carriers, cancelling multiple orders, credit card issues, sites not working, etc....

It took me less than 5 minutes....

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am still debating on switching carriers as well. I think maybe letting the pre order excitement die down might be a good choice.

I haven't had any issues in the past either. However, based on the forum today a lot of people had problems this time around.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me its simply economics. I'm getting a better discount with ATT, and once my kids end up with cell phones. Its cheaper on ATT then it will be on VZW, i.e., buy some used smart phones and add them.

9. davefromca macrumors 6502

I agree with you OP. I got married this year, and we are about to buy a house and new priorities and all this other stuff...and I still stayed up and preordered at 12:01. My wife is like "wtf are you doing?" It was 11:30 and I had madden playing and had downed like 3 martinis. It just kind of feels like an adventure, a reason to stay up late, order the phone, read the forums and see how other people are doing on their preorders....

...oh and I did consider that the alternative to just trying to order a 6 at mid night on the web was waiting at a verizon store in a big ass crowd...F that lol that preorder was cake. 2012 was a little different as I really NEEDED a new phone because mine barely worked so that preorder came out of necessity.

10. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

People really should learn to chill out lol...everyone and their pre-order jitters are all in a bind. As soon as the shipping times or anything else gets pushed back they throw a hissy fit...Calm down and let everything get sorted out... You will get your device...sheesh..

11. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I think you made the right call. It's probably just part of getting older and becoming more pragmatic. I was really on the fence about pre-ordering but decided that I would do so last night. It wasn't a positive experience. Waking up at 1:55am on a night before you have to go to work and hitting a refresh button for two hours (in vain I might add) really makes a man reevaluate his life choices. I ended up finally giving up and successfully pre-ordering it when I woke up again at 6:30 (my usual wake up time). While I groggily executed my morning rituals, I kept muttering the mantra, "never again".

12. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Getting older helps, so does having a 7 month old. I spend enough time up at night with him :)