Lack of ram making Win 8 run slow?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I am running Win 8 on parallels and have allocated 4gb but it is running slow as a turtle. When I have parallels running in the background mac runs slow as well. Is it lack of ram. Would an extra 8gb help?

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I am running Win 8 on parallels and have allocated 4gb but it is running slow as a turtle. When I have parallels running in the background mac runs slow as well. Is it lack of ram. Would an extra 8gb help?
How much memory/RAM does your system have? Because if it is 4GB your allocating your entire pool of memory to the VM and the host OS. See if what you do with your VM warrants that amount of memory and if it does then I would certainly upgrade to 8GB because even dividing the amount of memory with just 4GB is too little for running two OS at the same time.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You can run it with only 2GB for Windows. There's no real need to go any higher unless you're doing something extensive under windows.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
try lowering the RAM in the Parrell settings to 2GB or even 3GB, I use VMware I know I can alter the RAM settings without starting over I am sure you can do the same for Parrells