Lack of really good apps?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by fizzler, Jul 9, 2010.

1. fizzler macrumors member

I pick myself up an iPad yesterday, and am loving it so far. I have had an iPhone 3G for the past 1.5 years, and have spent an absolute fortune on apps of various natures- often just to see how 'this game looks' or 'this news reader functions', however I have been struck by the lack of apps that I really want to download. I don't know whether it's the iPad app store interface that I need to get used to, or whether there just aren't that many good apps out there yet. Obviously with the browser experience being so much better than the iPhone, a lot of the 'internet content' type apps aren't required on the iPad.

Can anyone recommend any good iPad specific apps (preferably not games), which work really well on the iPad?

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Did you search through all the other threads on "best apps" and "top ten apps" etc?

3. fizzler thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've had a good rummage about the app store and whilst I'm not saying that there are no good apps- I just think that there appear to be very few that jump out at me.

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I'm under the impression that some developers are waiting on 4.0 to release their apps. No sense in working hard on a 3.0 app to have 4.0 come out a month later. 4.0 on iPad will be awesome.

5. klio macrumors member

I assume over time there will be more sites doing useful reviews, and niche sites will start talking more about apps specific to their needs as more people in that group (artists, web designers, casual gamers, younger kids) have access to iPads and spend time using them. Right now it's all just people taking the first steps to weed through things and get the process rolling themselves.

As for the app store itself, it's like being tossed into a barely-organised warehouse full of glowing press releases and sales pitches. I don't have a whole lot of good suggestions on how to make it better, other than encouraging developers to offer more free samples of limited versions of their apps.

Now, what I'd recommend depends on your needs. Here's some of what I've found that I've liked, though not an exhaustive list of what's on my iPad:

There are a lot of reviews and blogs and forum posts and YouTube demos out there for drawing apps demonstrating every quirk and feature of the various apps (start here with a search for Sketchbook Pro, ArtStudio, or Brushes) but I had a harder time finding in-depth reviews of HTML editors. I went with Gusto.

Ebook readers are mostly free with samples, so I didn't have a hard time figuring out that I prefer the simplicity of Kindle. I got recs for PDF viewers from friends. I need one where I can read and add comments, so even though GoodReader is a convenient interface, iAnnotate is better for me.

A friend recommended BeeJiveIM as an alternative to AIM so we can do group chats, but the interface irks me (the input window covers up much of the chat window).

I got info for comics apps from Comicsbeat.com, other comics blogs, and a heckuva lot of it here on this site (oh, I just downloaded all the free ones, many of which use the same interface). I used Twitterific on the iPhone, so I use it on the iPad. What's On? because it's a quick way to see when Mike Rowe or the Mythbusters team are going to grace my television screen.

Atomic Web as a substitute for Safari because it has tabs that actually DON'T reload each page when you return to it. Other things come up as I need them, maybe because I've used them on a laptop (OpenTable) or because they came up in an app store search and were cheap and had good reviews and a clean-looking interface (QuickVoice).

So, my iPad is getting pretty loaded up. I'm not sure if a random ramble of what meets my need will be helpful, but a good drawing app was worth the whole cost of the iPad.

6. yyy macrumors regular

What kind of apps are you interested in?

By the way, if you scroll down the iPad app store's page you can find links to collections of nice apps in various categories, such as: "get stuff done", "music creation" and etc.

7. fizzler thread starter macrumors member

So far I've downloaded the guardian eyewitness app (really nice), Mac user magazine, early edition (really impressed with this) metro, ebay, iBooks, and a few of my favourite games from the iPhone (angry birds, worms etc).

What I have- I like, and I'm sure I'll stumble across loads more, but I suppose my point is that (in comparison to the iPhone apps) there aren't many 'stand out' applications for the iPad yet.

8. greggy macrumors newbie

No, I know exactly what you mean. I've had my iPad for almost 3 months and still rarely find apps that I really like. The 'good ones' are limited and don't compare in functionality to desktop apps. And rarely utilise the touchscreen well. I check for new apps everyday and there is just so much crap out there and very little quality. I suppose it takes developers a while to create great stuff and I hope they will do that. Maybe it's just that the financial incentive to develop for the iPad over the iPhone isn't there..

9. timor macrumors newbie

10. Jaxe macrumors newbie

I have noticed that not much new has come out since the ipad launch.

If you look at the itunes featured/spotlight apps they are exactly the same as they were on launch day.

There have been a few new must-have apps since then, but certainly not a huge flood of them. In fact it has mostly just been iphone apps given a small facelift to work at the higher res, but feature-wise not hugely different.

In my opinion the ipad app scene hasn't really take off yet. Hope it will...

11. Alith macrumors 6502

Flixter, IMDB, Pulse and Eyewitness are my favourite apps, if you haven't tried them already.

In fact, the two movie ones made me realise that apps will replace websites eventually. I used to think, "why would I want an app when I can just go to the website?" and now that has turned into, "why would I visit the website when I have the app?"

12. vw195 macrumors 6502

Yea except imdb app doesnt contain the forums which are always entertaining