Lack of Safari supporting sites

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jan 26, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

There are a few sites I need access (for real estate) to that I can't get into using Safari. They simply don't support it. :rolleyes:

Hopefully things are moving faster (more pressure) for more Safari compatible sites. In the meantime, I need to have access.

I could install Windows, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

I have another Windows laptop I can use, but it's my husbands Dell.

My husband was able to install the Safari browser on my old Dell. Is it easy to do the same on the Mac with IE? I didn't find much online for new versions of IE for Mac. I was reading about a program called 'WineBottler' and 'VirtualBox', but I'm not familiar with it.

Any advice on the easiest way to get around sites that don't support Safari or how to install IE is appreciated.

Thanks

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

you cant install IE on OS X.... have you tried Chrome or Firefox? If you must use IE, you will need to install windows or have RDP access to a windows box... You could use bootcamp, parallels or VMware (my choice along with bootcamp).

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

safari preferences > advance tab

check "show develop menu in menu bar"

once you've done that. click develop > user agent > IE 9.0

done. worked for me in the past

4. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok thanks. I was beginning to wonder with not finding much info. No I haven't tried those others, but the message says IE 6.0 or higher. Not that the others wouldn't work, just haven't tried it yet.

Here is what the site says when you go to it with Safari.....

'Thank you for your interest in the MLS System

The MLS System was specifically designed for Internet Explorer versions 6.0 or greater. Your browser version is not supported. To download the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Internet Explorer Downloads Web site.

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the MLS System site by typing http://msx.mlxchange.com into the address bar.'

Looks like I need to install Windows

----------

:mad:Doesn't work, but thanks

5. plageius, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

plageius macrumors newbie

Solution

EDIT: I realize now that they are two very different websites. I apologize but it looks as though you've been shafted by that website. it only supports IE, I have tried other browsers for you as well, and nothing works. I'm sorry I wish I had good news.

Hey, I work in the real estate industry in Toronto I use MLS.ca and i can browse no problem using a browser called Google Chrome.

You can get it here.

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95346

Thanks for coming to MacRumors.com for help! :)

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Thanks for trying. I'll be getting my old Dell up and running soon and I'll just use that when I need to. It's not that I don't have other Windows computers, but I was hoping I could get around using other computers if I could. Maybe they will get up to speed and make their sites Mac friendly real soon. Maybe I'll try Google chrome. But the site specifically said IE, so I don't know if it's compatible.

I can get into the regular GSMLS for my local areas. It's that other site that doesn't work and a site to make my key payment is the same way :roll eyes: