Lack of Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sirus2400, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I have a fairly new MBP (about 1 month old), and when I put it to sleep via the power button, with the clamshell open, it takes about 30 seconds to go to sleep. If I close it, it goes to sleep immediately. Is this normal?

On my old Ti Powerbook, if I put it to sleep via the power button, it would sleep almost immediately.

2. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

my new 17" MBP goes to sleep in about 3 seconds when it is open.

3. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Must be due to a process which is taking time to be killed!
    Are you running something in the background?

5. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

SMC fan control is about it that I know of. I'll have to check when I get home. I noticed today that it also takes some time to eject my thumb drive

6. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so I looked at system processes and noticed that there are a few PPC processes running. Is this normal on a new C2D machine? I have the latest MBP, but migrated from a TiBook.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes thats normal... but... they should be really few! Why dont you list em' here so that we can have a look at it!

8. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, powerPC Processes:
    Magic Menu
    Microsoft AU Daemon
    Archive Assistant Scheduler
    MagicMenuHotKeyDaemon (Not Responding)
    StuffItAVRDaemon

After typing the above up I thought to quit the process that wasn't responding and sleep worked after a few seconds. Anyone know what this process is, if/how I can remove it?

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Success! So are these here because you used the Migration Assistant from a TiBook? I would recommend some organization and then a Erase & Install.

Also thought I'd chime in a suggest a hot corner to sleep the screen; mine takes less than a second on my MBA.

10. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... I think he means putting the whole laptop to sleep/standby, not just the display:eek:

11. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. So does anyone know if I can remove this process without harming anything? If so, how?

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I used to have a problem w/ mine going to sleep. Usually it would take a while and sometimes it wouldn't sleep at all, just stay in a zombie state which I had to hard reset the computer to fix. I ended up disabling "safe sleep" through the terminal and now it sleeps instantly, all the time. It just won't remeber what windows I had open at the time but I don't care.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seems you have Stuffit Deluxe and.... er..... probably some HotKey Software!

If Im correct.... you'll have to experiment by uninstalling these apps one-by-one and check! Also, the apps might be conflicting so check for that as well!

14. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I figured out that Magicmenuhotkeydaemon is a part of Stuffit Deluxe. Does anyone know if I can remove just this part of SID?

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Why dont you do something: In Sys Pref, accouunt, login items check for 'Magic Menu'. If its there just delete it! Reboot.

Also, mention the contents of your startup list here!

16. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it removed. Now I dont have a hot key for sutffit (Up near clock), but that doesn't bother me at all... My other startup applications are:
    iTunes Helper
    Microsoft AU Daemon
    Archive Assistant
    StuffitAVRDaemon
    System Events
    smcFanControl

Thanks for your help AppleInk

17. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I have clean system (10.5) without bells and whistles but when I put it to sleep, I also have to wait about 30 seconds. My MBP is over one year old.

18. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

SmartSleep

I recalled myself that sleep state of Mac can be dynamically set using preference pane called SmartSleep.