Lack of transparency on iBook G4 1.33mhz

Discussion in 'macOS' started by unconcious, Jan 31, 2008.

1. unconcious macrumors newbie

I love leopard but I have not figured out why the menu bar has no transparency??? :( is there anything i could do to make it work on my machine?

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Your video card does not support "graphical candy" found in Tiger and Leopard. If you drop a new widget on the desktop, you won't get the ripple effect either.

3. alienx macrumors newbie

I also have an ibook G4 1.33 12inch with a 1.5mb, I just installed a new HDD 60GB/5400 and did a fresh install of Leopard 10.5.1, it has transparency just fine, did you do a clean install or upgrade?
    Video is same as yours so it should work...

On the other hand did a fresh install on a iMac 800 15in flat panel and I did not get any transparency on the top bar (but normal menus has some transparency) and I read that someone else did have it on the top menu... go figure... I think its a bug on leopard...

4. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

I've got a Brand New 2.8GHz iMac (arrived last week) and my Menu Bar is not transparent either...do you have to "switch it on" somewhere????

5. alienx macrumors newbie

Nope, just did it. I read somewhere that the update 10.5.2 will have an option to turn it on/off. A lot of people don't like it but I do; this would be a very good option to have, also it should have the option to increase/decrease how much transparency you may want.

6. unconcious thread starter macrumors newbie

i did a clean install and still I'm not able to get the eye candy. there is some transparency with the dropdown menues but very minimal at best.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

um your iMac's specs are MORE than suffient to have a translucent menu bar. copy and paste this unix command into the terminal, press enter & then provide your administrator password.

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables'[/FONT]
    to go back to the opaque menu bar use this unix command.

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0.66[/FONT]

8. unconcious thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you that is great I'll try it when I get home later : )

9. Spievy macrumors regular

2 Versions

There were 2 Versions of IBook G4 1.33ghz

Late 2004 1.33GHZ
    had an ATI Radeon 9200

Mid-2005 1.33GHZ
    had an ATI Radeon 9550

my guess is the earlier ibook doesn't support it. Maybe core image???

10. alienx macrumors newbie

Just as added information:
    The one I have is a Mid-2005 1.33Ghz
    and graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Quartz Extreme: Supported.