Lack of true innovation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawndc1, Sep 11, 2014.

1. shawndc1 macrumors regular

ive had an iphone since 2009 or so, pretty much all of them from the 3g til now except that 5c, ive supported apple even with its lateness with simple detail that they tend to forget, ill list a few things they have just now added in 2014 to the 6 that has been around since 2011-2012 in other phones, it kinda bugs me that they swear up and down they're so creative and innovative..........anyway ill list facts, in 2012 the nexus 4 had nfc payments, 3rd party keyboards, 4.7 in screen, widgets (the g1 had that in 2007),suggestive typing, cross app communication just to name a few. apple really puts on a big show to reveal the simple thats been around since the 4s, im just getting tired of their gimmicks, but i appreciate the build quality of the phone and trade in value lol, p.s i hate android so thats why i wont switch for the smart guys out there with sarcastic jokes

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad you got that off your chest. Have a great day!:D

3. Ortiz7983 Suspended

Well it is what it is. They make a product. You like it, you buy it. You don't, don't buy it. They don't have to meet people expectations. They meet their expectations and hope it's enough to sale. Judging by their numbers, looks like they did well. Just because something better is out there doesn't mean a company is going to beat it at every aspect. They make what they believe and what they want to make and sell it. Sorry it doesn't for your needs. Only reason I'm sorry is cause you like the build and quality of the iphone. It just ain't all there that you want. But that's life. You go to the store and shop what is out there.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's a cellphone, what are they really going to put in there?

If you think this year's phone is bad, just wait until next year. I'm really unsure of what they could possibly put into the iPhone 6S.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not trying to be smart or anything, but just what do you expect a new phone to do?

6. roxics macrumors regular

They still really don't have widgets in a conventional way. I would like Android style widgets on the home screens. Sick of seeing a grid of icons, especially now that we have these nice big screens. I'd love to make all those icons go away so I can just have a picture of my kid on one of them without being obstructed by app icons.

This is just my personal desire.

7. roxics macrumors regular

Just like we have an applications folder in the dock on OS X we need one in the dock on iOS so we can have nice clear screens for wallpaper.

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

And that same Nexus 4 had a worse camera, worse screen, worse performance (CPU and GPU), worse battery life, didn't have iMessage, didn't have apps as good as iOS, didn't have as good accessories and many more things...

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Ha. Ha. I'm gonna ask you to switch but saw the last sentence.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I have a feeling Apple will allow this on iOS9 next year. Their tight organization of iOS is getting cluttered. I see a revamp coming.

11. shawndc1 thread starter macrumors regular

im just saying dont be 3 years late and call it innovative

----------

being years late on simple things like suggestive text isnt innovative is all im saying

12. james92se macrumors 6502a

This is a common jab I see thrown at Apple, particularly from bizarrely hysterical Android people, but Apple does not claim to be INVENTING all of this stuff. Rather, Apple basically claims to do all of this stuff RIGHT.

Android releases dozens of phones every year, with many of the higher end ones just throwing as many features against the wall as they can - the vast majority of which are gimmicky and don't even work properly (fingerprint scanner, eyeball tracker, wave your hands above the phone to scroll webpages come to mind). But then when Apple does it RIGHT, Android fanatics claim that Apple is copying and that "so and so Android phone had X feature in year Y".

I don't know about you but I have never in my life ever seen anybody pay with NFC, not even to this day. Ironically for Android, Apple getting into the NFC/mobile payments game is exactly what the NFC/mobile payments game needs to become ubiquitous.

Hysterical Android fans conveniently have it both ways. Apple does not have X feature and critics bash them for it. Apple finally releases X feature and critics bash them for it for not being first. It's a catch 22. Apple is also a bit of a victim with their once per year release cycle that competes with dozens of Androids being pushed out as soon as the other manufacturers can clump together gimmicky features.

And besides, this whole "Android had this feature in X year" is ridiculous anyway, because at the absolute root of it all, early Androids had physical keyboards or awful resistive touchscreen keyboards and still to this day most have creaky plastic cases. So now the Galaxy will be coming out with a metal-rimmed phone. Can I post a meme comparing the metal Galaxy to the original iPhone with a ridiculous comment along the lines of "Welcome to 2007"? :rolleyes:

13. fivedots macrumors 6502a

The comparisons to the Nexus 4 are ridiculous and unbalanced. Sure, the iPhone 6's screen size is the same and there is feature parity in a few areas but have you actually used a Nexus 4? Because you're ignoring the other side of the story entirely. The camera was terrible (nearing unusable, even coming from an iPhone 4) the screen was washed out and dull, and it didn't have LTE.

Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 4 was a great phone in many ways and my favorite Android device, but the iPhone 6 is an improvement over that particular device.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Okay, by saying apple is not innovative in a public forum, do you expect the buying public nt to buy the i6?

I honestly don't care if they are innovative or not....I want their products to fulfill my requirements.

15. fivedots macrumors 6502a

No kidding. I prefer iOS. I want a bigger phone. This solves that problem.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think most of the general public feels the same way. Same thing about specs as well. In the end people only care about whether or not the phone does what they need it to and does it do it well.

17. shawndc1 thread starter macrumors regular

neither have i, i know apple will change the game with it just by them saying mcdonalds will apply it to drive thru

18. itjw macrumors 65816

Ok. So. Bye then?

The "innovations" you speak of are nothing more than "features" that could simply be called that instead of true "innovation" anyway.

The trouble with innovation is that it doesn't happen year after year after year even if you desperately want it to.

There was a thread not too long ago with similar complaints and they were unable to come up with any ideas for true innovation either. It's HARD to re-invent a home run. It's even harder to re-invent a home run and have it impress people that take to internet forums to complain about a lack of innovation.

So take what you can get, be happy with it, or move on. I'd say "or do it yourself" but realistically we both know that isn't happening.

There are plenty of choices, and if you are that unhappy with the evolution of a product it is VERY easy to purchase something else. If you need a tutorial I can put one together for you. It goes like this:

1) Sell iPhone
    2) Buy Something Else

Then you can be happy! Hooray!

19. shawndc1 thread starter macrumors regular

nope, didnt say that, i can care less what people buy its your money, ive said above ive had almost every iphone, ill get the 6 myself

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

You hit the nail on the head, you either appreciate and value Apple's method of implementing things (innovative ways I might add) or you do not.

Even the first iPhone was just an innovative way to do things that you could already do.

21. Ortiz7983 Suspended

It's innovating for them. Not for the world or against companies.