Lackluster SSD speeds on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bvp663, Nov 28, 2011.

1. bvp663 macrumors newbie

I have an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G SSD installed on a MacBook Pro (late 2008) model. I'm only getting speeds of 77.9 MB/s Read and 1257.2 MB/s Write (Using BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test).

I called OWC support and he said that my computer is only capable of 1.5Gb SATA connection speeds, but system profiler has both the link speed and negotiated link speed at 3 Gigabit. They were swamped with Cyber Monday calls and he sounded like he didn't want to deal with me anymore and didn't have any solutions anyways.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. kasakato macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem with my mid-2010 with a Agility 3. Write 100MB/s, read 130MB/s.

Do your speeds increase if you test right after a reboot? Mine will rise to 150/200, but only until the next time I sleep.

3. bvp663 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sfoalex macrumors 6502

5. bvp663 thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason I can't run the disk speed test while I'm booted into the OS on the drive. I've had to boot from an external USB drive, set the permissions on the SSD to read/write, and then run the test on the SSD from the USB drive.

I did a reset on the PRAM and rebooted. I initially receiver similar results with 72/132 Write/Read speeds (average). After letting the program run for a bit I was able to average 92/155 Write/Read speeds. Still pretty far from what I think I should be achieving with the drive. Maybe this is typical?