Lactose free milk & Gluten free bread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Apr 25, 2015.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Do they taste any different than the usual milk and bread?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Gluten free bread tasts nasty tbh. It's also nearly impossible to spread anything on it, as it disintegrates very easy.

Can't comment on the milk.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Lotsa brands to choose from these days for bread and milk. I always toast my GF bread. Really helps to keep it together. Try to see if a local bakery makes their own. Usually better than national brands.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

GF bread is okay as like a bun for a burger, but in all honesty, it doesn't do a great job replacing bread overall.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

My ex was lactose intolerant so we bought it very often. I feel lactose free milk is somewhat sweeter and a tad thicker than regular. I prefer regular.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm allergic to milk, so I prefer almond to regular, personally.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

That was an option my ex used too. The soy sucks in most places in the U.S. We made it ourself at home. It wasn't as good as fresh soy but it beat store bottle stuff.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've actually had some very good gluten free bread. A good friend of mine has great culinary skills and did a lot of experimentation with finding the right products to put in. He's churned out some bread that you would barely know the difference. On the other hand, I've had some pretty nasty gluten free bread in my my lifetime. The store bought gluten-free pasta has come a long way too.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've personally tried - and quiet liked - soy milk.

It definitely has a different taste to Elsies. But it has a similar "mouth feel" - in many ways it seems creamier than most homogenized cows milk. You can drink a glass of it cold. It tastes good on cereal. And you can even make hot chocolate with it. I have never tried cooking with (ie. making custards and the like.) but apparently most recipes can, with a little modification - be made to work.

The only caution is this: There are several different brands out there, and there seems to be some variation in how their "plain" flavors taste. Once you find one you like, switching brands may give you a surprise.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

How local do you mean? I wouldn't trust anywhere that didn't have the volume to make keeping completely separate production feasible.

Cross contamination is a big issue.

11. eko91 macrumors regular

yes!!

When something is GLUTEN FREE, remember that the cookie, bread or pasta that you buy isnt going to be sticky or stick together. Cookies will be very crumbly, breads are pretty thick and hard. For the most part, I wouldnt purchase any gluten free products because they dont taste good and they are pricey. But if you are allergic to gluten, then you have no choice.
    I haven't tried lactose free but I only drink soy/ almond milk. They are very delicious and they dont expire as quick as regular milk. You can also keep some cartons in your pantry.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I still think the whole gluten-free thing is a fad, so I don't worry about that. But being slightly lactose intolerant, I have switched completely to almond milk. The color is slightly off, but I like it for cooking and tea.

13. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Can't you just put egg in gluten free bread? Perhaps a wee bit of oil also.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I personally have trouble with dairy and tree nuts. Gluten free bread doesn't typically contain those things. I don't know if it's the gluten itself or something else, but most other bread gives me some pretty bad digestive issues that I won't go into here. Without the gluten/dairy/nut free breads, I wouldn't eat bread.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My son is like that. He is deathly allergic to tree nuts, and always carries an epi-pen. He switched to soy for a long time, but just didn't care for the taste. I don't know what he's using now.

16. a.guillermo macrumors regular

I have a family member with Celiacs, and some of the things are noticeably different in quality- some for better, and some for worse.

For instance, I would take a gluten free cake over a regular one any day of the week. They are SO good!

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

My wife has sensitivities to both gluten and lactose. We've switched to almond milk for cereal mostly, but it makes for some funky mac & cheese. So we omit the milk and increase the non-dairy butter we found.

As far as bread, it's much more hit and miss. Some breads are really awful. There are a few larger bakeries that have decent bread and a local GF bakery that we visit. Fortunately, her reaction isn't that severe to gluten so we mostly don't bother, but you could always make your own (and freeze it until you need it).

When we were running elimination diets, though, I made a lot of different things at home using recipes from this site: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com. One of the things I found in my online recipe research is that GF flour recipes vary wildly between blogs. This one is run by one lady so the flour is consistent. Make a bunch and store it.

The brownies were absolutely delicious. Sub in non-dairy ingredients and you can avoid both allergies.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My daughter can't tolerate gluten due to it setting off IBS.
    She is also a vegetarian, has autism and very fussy.
    Most of the shop stuff we buy is pretty horrible to be honest. Whenever we find a new food to put on her yes list we are so glad, we don't worry about the expense (which is always pretty high). Hopefully as she gets older her taste pallet will widen, but often finding her anything to eat involves a lot of trips to supermarkets etc.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm not that sensitive enough to Gluten so that foods prepared without it are typically ok for me to eat. Obviously, YMMV.