Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I'm quite suspicious of her lyrics at times. In her song "Love Game", she sings:" I squeezed my sexy cupid press. . . " At first, it sounded more to me like "I squeezed my sexy cute big breasts." Well, some of her songs sound VERY wrong. But Bad Romance is different though. :eek:

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
I just heard this song on the radio for the first time a couple of hours ago and it is clearly different than the version from the iTunes Store's version "The Fame Monster (Deluxe Version)". Does anyone else have this version, and if so what is your opinion?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Word of the day: Mondegreen

This isn't the only example of misheard lines from the song Poker Face -- there are 23 results found for song title = poker face @ KissThisGuy.com, the Achieve of Misheard Lyrics.

A mondegreen is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase, typically a standardized phrase such as a line in a poem or a lyric in a song, due to near homophony, in a way that yields a new meaning to the phrase. Example: When Bob Dylan offered marijuana to The Beatles, he was surprised to find they had not tried it before; he had misheard the lyric "I can't hide" in "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as "I get high".

See also: Mondegreens Ripped My Flesh

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Have you head the version that is on iTunes Store's The Fame Monster Deluxe Version? I am highly suspect of your assertion that I am mishearing it, because if that were the case then I would have misheard the version that was on the radio today. That was not the case - the radio version clearly was "poker face" while the The Fame Monster Deluxe Version clearly is not.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
new music = mostly teh sux.

My day told me there would come a day when I would, for the most part, not care for new cinema, television, or music.

That day arrived somewhere about 2005.

I've seen seven movies in the theater since then, bought 12 or so albums since 2002, and quit watching TV altogether since 2002 when I moved out of the house. Never for a minute do I miss the TV.

I hope everything goes in circles and we have another 1960's and 1970's where good music comes out of the woodwork, full of inspiration and departure from conventions. These plastic, commercial, designed music-marketing groups are the pits.

I love the Cartman version, by the way.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
new music = mostly teh sux.

My day told me there would come a day when I would, for the most part, not care for new cinema, television, or music.

That day arrived somewhere about 2005.

I've seen seven movies in the theater since then, bought 12 or so albums since 2002, and quit watching TV altogether since 2002 when I moved out of the house. Never for a minute do I miss the TV.

I hope everything goes in circles and we have another 1960's and 1970's where good music comes out of the woodwork, full of inspiration and departure from conventions. These plastic, commercial, designed music-marketing groups are the pits.

I love the Cartman version, by the way.

Hello fellow Iowa City, Iowan! Don't be so miserly, you're just looking in the wrong places. The mainstream popular stuff gets old quickly, and even more quickly as you get older, but there's plenty of good music, film, etc. being made, it's just not showing up in Kasey Kasem's lexicon... although TV has never been good IMHO.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Okay.. I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but my question is way too stupid to start a new one on, and I just have to get it out.

Okay. Is it just me, or that whenever you hear Lady Gaga's "Just Dance", and you listen to the beat and the chorus, you can easily mix in the chorus to "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell?

For that matter, you could sing that whole song to "Just Dance", and it just works. Call it stupid, but there you have it! :D

BL.

They most likely have the same chord progression and form. Pretty common, actually.

Jurassic Park

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
my girlfriend used to listen to poker face while we'd climb the walls in our hallway. our roommate's boyfriend left the bathroom window open and the cat got out. she came back a month later pregnant.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Have you head the version that is on iTunes Store's The Fame Monster Deluxe Version? I am highly suspect of your assertion that I am mishearing it, because if that were the case then I would have misheard the version that was on the radio today. That was not the case - the radio version clearly was "poker face" while the The Fame Monster Deluxe Version clearly is not.

I've heard both various radio play and album versions and own the Fame Monster version of the single, which I just listened to again. I hear a distinctive, "explosive" "po" sound (not a "fa") as the beginning syllable on every version I've listened to. The album version is 3:58 in length while the airplay versions usually cut down to just a little over 3 minutes in length (many radio stations do prefer to play songs ~3 minutes in length) but some station reportedly have censored out the word "muffin", "Russian Roulette" and "gun" (source: Wapedia).

However, in regards to the line in the chorus (p-p-p-poker face vs f-f-f-f@#$ her face) you've questioned: This section of the lead vocal on the song's chorus does sound like its been edited, processed, and digitally altered. It sounds like the result of starting with a recording Lady GaGa singing just the phrase "poker face" and then breaking the resulting digital sound file down into "snippets" or small sections that are then copying and rearranged either via automated "beat processing" or manually editing to create a new sound file -- thus, "poker face" becomes "po-po-po-ker-face". That sort of technique has been used extensively, from Max Headroom era through today. In the early years you usually did it with (hardware) samplers -- now you can work with the waveform digitally in an audio editor or even directly in many of today's DAW software. Some example of this sort of technique sound like simple stuttering, other examples are more complex with an entire phrase being manipulated and rearranged (not just the beginning syllables).

At any rate, these types of digitally edited snippets of sound rearranged into somewhat "mechanical" or "robotic" sounding phrases aren't going to sound very "natural" to the ear and this may be why you hear it as something other than "poker face". But, I do think that sort of robotic sounding "hook" was what GaGa and her producers were after when they used that technique... (See: the Wapedia article)

Speaking of "sampling": It's interesting to note that the "muh-muh-muh-maah" used in Poker Face is sampled from the song "Ma Baker" by Boney M., a No.2 hit from 1977, according to this BBC source.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I find Peaches to be much more risqué. Lady Gaga pfft!

Yes! Love Peaches-- my onetime neighbor... Gaga is the High School Musical version to Peaches' Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Nothing new or risqué about Gaga: Everything she's doing now, Madonna already did back in 1990.

n459umb4786ers

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
OK, one of my graduate students put "Poker Face" on the lab computer's iTunes and I *think* I hear the following:

"pa pa pa poker face, pa pa fu** her face..."

Am I hearing things???

I have a copy of Lady GaGa's The Fame which comes with the official lyrics. So here's a photo copy of a section of Poker Face stating "P-P-Poker Face" not f*** her face.

n459umb4786ers

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
Are you trying to inflate your post count by digging up 3+ month old posts that had already been answered?

No. I just felt like Mroogleing Lady GaGa to see what I could find then I bumped onto this thread and decided to give a more accurate answer with proof.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
...looks like a 12-year-old effeminate boy that got his front adult teeth before his face could accommodate them and a nose sculpted from a Corinthian helmet's nose-piece and a mouth stuffed with cotton, topping it off with a Dmitri Martin hair-bowl.

Seriously, look at it! That can't be something that occurs in nature. There are less gag-inducing creatures sucking mud at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

e02721ea5abe83a5192378c6234ccdee.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.