lady nabbed 32 years later...wow

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, May 1, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2008/04/30/5429531-ap.html

personally, i would test her for drugs and interview her husband for any clues that she may have been using and if not, it sounds like she rehabbed herself.

it would terrible for her kids if she's taken away now.

and believe me, i'm a big fan of sticking folks in jail when they deserve it, but maybe it's the parent in me - i think she should be let go if she's been living a good life.

she should also pay restitution for the police depts who have been looking for her.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if the purpose of a correctional facility is to "correct her", then she should be out of jail in an hour, tops. She seems to be legit now, and a law-abiding, honourable member of society now. I feel the same way.......leave Marie alone!! *uncontrollable crying*

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Exactly.

I'm curious what she was originally arrested for back when she escaped? I couldn't find any detail.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

According to the article she served one year of a "10-to-20 year sentence on state drug charges". They should leave her alone and drop it.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Kind of silly, since she isn't doing any harm, and now it wasting tax payer money, as well as the rest of her life(or at least ten years)

6. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah. But they won't. Even if every single person involved in the case felt she should be allowed to go free, any one of them who didn't follow through on their part would be failing to do their jobs and uphold the letter of the law. She'll have to go back to jail unless someone high up gives her an official pardon. Maybe she'll get time off for good behavior.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The lawyer/judge elite must be served.

But not this time.

Let the poor girl live out her life in peace.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it more a case of principle. They can not let her go because you do that then any one who pulls it off would be allowed to. Plus it also became a felony law she broke when she crossed state lines so that ups the anti even more.
    They have to punisher so in the future this can not be used against them as a defense.

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

This is crap. 400,000 people have been arrested in new york city since 1980 for possession of grass. Let's listen to Murtha and decriminalize the stuff and put the RIGHT people in jail (like Bush and Cheney). Hell, she was 19 and it wasn't a violent crime.

Blah. Put a statute of limitations out now. THis is all so pointless.

11. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Send her back to prison....Its punishment for the crime and conviction after a trial of her peers....This mess is one she created....

12. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Wow they are worried about some woman who escaped prison 30 some years ago for drugs and we have murderers still roaming the streets...

It's not like she killed some person, and now she has a husband and kids, they should drop this case. But they won't, and worry about it instead of all the idiots will have roaming the earth!

Yay justice system! :rolleyes:

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

She will likely go back to prison for 8 years.

And she isn't the only one, since there have been a couple/few people sent back in the last couple decades after living on the run for a long time.

Though they do say, it is harder time now since they are so much older ...

14. remmy macrumors 6502a

What was she done for drugs charges? 10 years? Does that mean she was supplying or carrying some amounts of drugs or got slightly stoned.

15. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

If she was arrested and sentenced to 10-20 years on drug related charges in 1975, I can guarantee you it wasn't for something as trivial as "possession of grass". Probably dealing cocaine, and probably in large quantities.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

I guess while they were looking for her they wouldn't of known that she had settled down. They probably thought she was still dealing drugs must find her.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Amen!

I am a liberal when it comes to most things. But when you break the law and have a prison sentence that person needs to serve it. On top of that she broke the law by breaking out - she needs to do time for that. Maybe it will make her appreciate her upscale neighborhood when she gets out.

Do the crime - do the time.....

18. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Link

This story has been dominating the local press, though I'm still on the fence myself. Though as Chip was saying "Do the crime - do the time...."

19. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

Damn, did I call it or what. I'm all for people getting second chances...as long as they stick to the rules and don't break out of prison! :rolleyes:

20. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

She's been clean for thirty years, she'll be clean for the rest of her life. It's sick to think that the purpose of time is simply to be punished. Prisons are correctional facilities. Obviously this woman needs no further correcting.

Jeez, I mean, you guys are beginning to sound like [​IMG].

irmongoose

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I know nothing about the rest of the case, but I can say much of this quote is rubbish. Let's look at the official proof:

- $600 in cash. So what? I'm not a high earner, but I often have this much in cash in my flat. With my spare cash for babysitting fees, taxi fares, weekly shopping, pizza delivery, a fair bit put in a jar for emergencies, a repayment from my partner from when I paid for something for her, I often have the equivalent of more than $1000 in cash in my flat.

- Heroin cutting paraphernalia. What's this? A sieve, kitchen weights, some clingfilm, a roll of sandwich plastic baggies, some flour, some icing sugar, some baking soda. Is there anyone in my street who doesn't have this? Better lock up your granny.

- Dodgy photos. This is harder to explain. Maybe she was photographed with the local judge or something. 'Higher-ups' tends to suggest they were a bit more part of respectable society than street dealers. Given that, I suggest there are plenty of innocent local people who were also photographed with them. I grew up in a small town, and the local dealers went to the same bars and clubs as everyone else.

Remember, this is the *best* evidence the police could put forwards, which includes having a measly $600 in cash in total in a flat in which FOUR people live. Hell, I have more than that in my pocket after a monthly visit to the ATM.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If the $600 was in 1975 dollars - that is now about $2500 adjusted for inflation. Keep in mind she was earning $2000 a week DEALING drugs. That is $8000 adjusted for inflation.

Given her "upscale" neighborhood - it seems she likes the good life. She found a way to have it without drugs.

True - but they could not have gained a CONVICTION on flimsy stuff like that.

See above, but she was CONVICTED by a jury of her peers!

Also keep in mind that time were different back in 1975. $600/$2500 in cash was not the norm for most normal folks.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I read the quote out of context. I thought the quote was about a recent search of her flat. Didn't realise it applied to 1975. Good point.

However, not every week, but on rare occasions (2 or 3 times a year) I still have the equivalent of well over $2000 in cash in my flat. The last few times were when:

- just before repaying overdue rent

- repaying in cash my partner who used her card to pay for (at various times) flights / a holiday / a college course. This was back when my card wasn't accepted on many websites.

- after selling a laptop

- just before buying a motorbike / a powerbook (both second hand)

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Read this sentence again, and then tell me if the next one makes sense.
    Have you looked at the court record? I doubt it.

25. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

As I said, I thought the quote applied to 2008 not 1975.

Also, I should have said it was the best evidence they could put forward from the flat search.

The only other evidence listed in the article (but not in the quote I was looking at) of her being a baddie is of her selling junk to an agent, which admittedly is pretty bad on its own. :(