Lag - Hardware Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r3dm4lcz, Jul 1, 2012.

1. r3dm4lcz macrumors member

As noted in the various reviews, people have mentioned the lagging with the new retina notebook. I'll be putting in my order soon enough and a little dismayed by it.

What evidence do the reviews have to state it's a hardware problem? When in the same reviews, they state a suspected fix with Mountain Lion? Surely this is just an issue with retina and Lion compatibility rather than blaming the hardware i.e. graphics card.

Could someone enlighten me with an explanation? Graphics really isn't my area.

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I'm not entirely sure it is hardware. For instance, The Verge lags on the Retina MBP, yes, but it also lags on my high-end gaming PC with an OC'd 2500k, not to mention other people report the same. The rMBP feels like it was designed with Mountain Lion in mind, so we will just have to wait and see how it performs when that is launched.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Seems like it is a combo of hardware and software. Yes, ml fixes it to an extent but it is still there. The only people who think it does not exist are people who are lying to themselves.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

its mostly likely a hardware limitation. same reason why the new ipad, while obviously having the better screen, slightly lags in performance compared to the ipad 2. no iOS update has changed this yet.

this is why some people are just going to wait for haswell/etc when hardware actually becomes powerful enough for the retina screen.

5. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

If it was a hardware problem then the updates and Mountain Lion wouldn't make it better/remove it in most cases.
    Of course the hardware has to play its roll too, but from what i read on the Forums every second lag-complain comes fom a machine with a resolution scaled to 1920x1200...

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

if it WASN'T a hardware problem, apple wouldn't have to go out of their way to write custom software scaling software.

7. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

If it wasn't a software problem software updates wouldn't have such a massive impact for a lot of people.