Lag? Hooking iMac up to TV for gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ctznalien, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ctznalien macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and running a cable from my Late 2013 27" iMac to my television. The main purpose of this would be to be able to play video games on my couch, running Steam on the iMac.

Would there be much lag, in any of your esteemed opinions? Would there be any other considerations? Does the length and quality of the HDMI cable (or the adapter) matter much?

Thanks for your time.

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

As long as the TV isn't 30hz (which I doubt in this day/age unless it's a newer lower end 4k tv), and you use a standard 6ft HDMI cable there shouldn't be any lag.

3. ctznalien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. The cable I would be using would be considerably longer (perhaps 25ft+), since they are in adjacent rooms. Do you think that would make a difference?

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I honestly think your going to be fine unless you go over 50ft.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Velocity Factor of that cable is around .70-.75. Thats 200,000,000+ m/s. You'll run out of money buying cable before you can really notice a difference caused by lag.

6. cynics macrumors G4

As a side note I game (mirror) via an AppleTV with minimal lag. Games like Elder Scrolls Online are perfectly playable. I thought I may have got accustomed to the lag and my brain adjusted for it (kind of like it can when sync between voice and video is a bit off) but I had a friend play for a bit and he didn't notice it either.

7. ctznalien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your very helpful answers.

I will probably get an Apple TV at some point, but for right now, a cable will have to suffice.