Lag in terminal (& emacs) on ML

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by dougutphy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dougutphy macrumors newbie

Hi programmers,
    I didn't know exactly where to put (my options were here, OS X ML, or MPB!) this but I figured if anyone else has ever had this problem it would be programmer!
    I pretty much spend the majority of the time I'm on my mac in terminal using emacs working on some particle physics simulations. I usually have 3, 4, 5 terminals open with a couple of them in emacs and a couple for testing some code I'm writing. Every now and then my emacs becomes terribly laggy, along with my terminal windows. It doesn't seem to effect anything else. Has anyone else had this problem? Any possible fixes? I'm on 10.8 with a rMBP.

2. cqexbesd macrumors regular

Have you checked its not just your machine being busy at those times? e.g. used Activity Monitor to see how much free CPU you have, memory, are you excessively paging etc? If its system wide then the solutions will obviously be different than if its just weird Terminal behaviour...

3. rfle500 macrumors newbie

Yep - had this problem since SL I think. It usually occurs when the wireless is on but not connected to the internet. Disabling the WiFi completely seems to stop it for me, or alternatively get a better signal/ethernet.

Obviously this is a bug, and I haven't tried the mac ports version which I think is newer and may not have this issue. I usually use kate for programming as I find emacs really clunky for serious editing. Its nice to see another physicist around here (CMP in my case)!

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I use emacs quite often (the mac ports version). I've never had any problems with lag.

I don't use wifi.

Look at activity monitor and see if you're using any swap space.