Lag on rMBP 2.3 vs 2.6/2.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cstm, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cstm macrumors regular

Most people who say they don't experience any lag whatsoever have the 2.6 model, and pretty much all who complain have the 2.3 model.

Are there any 2.3 owners who don't experience any lag or 2.6/2.7 owners who experience bad lag, in other words is the lag exclusive to the 2.3 model?

I quickly tried the base model at a store, was scrolling theverge, engadget etc, and there was no lag, but I only used it for like 2minutes.

2. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I've seen exactly the opposite, and chalk it up to as much sample bias as anything. The difference between 2.3 and 2.6 GHz is a relatively small one, and one that should not be making that much of a difference on day-to-day usage (could potentially be wrong, though).

A 2.6 GHz processor isn't worth spending $600 on over a 2.3 GHz. It's more of a bonus for the people who need 512GB of hard drive over the 256. If you want a performance upgrade, a RAM to 16GB at $200 would be much more cost-effective.

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

[​IMG]

4. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

I'm one of those 2.6 folks who is having no problems at all so in not perfectly equipped to answer the question, but I very much doubt the small difference in processor speed will be relevant to this 'problem' on a meaningful level.

My guess is people are reading far too much into articles. The machine runs like a dream.

5. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Same here, 2.6, 512GB, runs smooth as silk on Lion- can"t wait for Mountain Lion !

6. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Are any 2.3 users actually complaining about lag? In meaningful numbers? Or is all of this coming from speculation by people who don't even use the machine?

7. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

From what I can tell its just a load of people crying that facebook doesnt scroll smoothly.

My i7 6850 xFire desktop rig is exactly the same. Its software limitations.

8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Even if the same percentage of 2.3 and 2.6 users complain about lag, you're going to see more 2.3 because more people buy that model. It's also the one that's on display, so people who use the display models and complain will say 2.3 as well. But I feel the whole thing's generally played up, much like other small issues with Apple products - think "Yellowgate". People get into a foaming rage if one person reports one issue with their product, even if it's not widespread.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Aside from the extra cache the faster processors will only help when being fully utilized. Since the web browsers don't peg the processors at 100% you will not notice a difference.

10. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

I have one of the initial batch of 2.3Ghz with 16GB RAM.

I experienced the lag from day one especially in regards to the UI of scrolling and minimising finder windows. Yes Facebook is an issue and this is obviously relating to the fact Safari and the way the CPU is given jpeg files etc etc...

The lag has been an issue with me and at one point I was considering a return. It does however seem to be intermittent, sometimes worse than other times. I often find a restart improves it a little.

Im not entirely sure what could be causing this, I have some reason to believe it may be some of the non retina applications such as twitter, Skype etc. I often find in GFX that the nvidia graphics kick in when running these apps. This is could be the cause of some lag, as I usually have these open in the background. I don't know.

Hopefully ML fixes these issues. (I am returning this as there's also an issue with a creaking, loose screw sound from inside the machine. Currently waiting for my priority replacement)

11. cstm thread starter macrumors regular

I know it shouldn't make a difference, but if you read macrumors, pretty much every single one who is complaining about lag has 2.3 retina, and people who say it's smooth as butter have 2.6 retina. I think it's worth noting. I don't think I've seen single one with 2.6 complain about lag.

12. Slivortal macrumors 6502

As I said, sample bias probably makes it 2-3x more likely you'll see those posts because Apple sells/has on display that many more 2.3s. And as I've also said, I've seen more 2.6s complaining about lag than 2.3s (such as the now-famous Anand review).

13. titanflyer macrumors member

Not that I want to continue the argument, but I am on a 2.3 and no lag that I can notice. Not sure what you guys who are seeing lag were using before the macbook pro, but complaining about Facebook lagging is pretty much common to all major manufacturers of hardware and OS's.

14. blueicedj macrumors 6502

15. mdapple macrumors regular

I had a 2.6 before I returned it and there was some lag, nothing major outside of facebook

16. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

I haven't even seen owners complaining yet (I haven't gone out of my way to look, though—just in some of these threads). Facebook seemed fine, but I'm not a big Facebook user either.

I'm just a little baffled why someone might be supposedly experiencing trouble when it is running so smoothly for me and so many other people, especially when I'm pretty keen when picking this sort of thing up due to what I do for a living. I wondered if maybe there's some kind of unique circumstance, or maybe some kind of inconsistent problem, but then I started to notice that the rage was coming from people who didn't own the machine in the cases I stumbled across.

17. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Tried out a base 2.3 in my local apple store and set the resolution to 1920x1200 and tried out various websites which are normally quite taxing on my MBA such as thenextweb and theverge and the scrolling was not laggy just a bit choppy.

However no updates where installed on this rMBP and it's a moot point anyway as ML is just around the corner which will help alleviate a lot of these issues.

Ordered a rMBP regardless as the display is simply fantastic!