Lag on rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleminion, Mar 23, 2015.

1. appleminion, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

appleminion macrumors member

I just got an early 2015 rMBP and the only that program that lags is Garageband, specifically when using the play/stop/rewind buttons, there is a 1-2 second delay when I press the button and it actually registering. Specs of my machine are 2.9ghz i5, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd. Is this just a glitch in Garageband? Or something wrong with my machine? Thanks for the help.

edit: I forgot to add that I'm connecting it to an external monitor... could this be a potential cause reducing the performance?

2. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Could be the fact its an i5 lol i just find it funny that you maxed out everything but still went with a core i5

3. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

so you're saying i need i7 to run garageband smoothly? i checked the CPU usage in memory and it wasn't even putting a heavy load on the cpu though...

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Absolutely not.

It's a dual core, so it doesn't make much of a difference going from the i5 to the i7.

5. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

No no not at all I just found that odd no one really maxes out i5 try resetting the pram that seems to be a common problem with the new macs

6. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Its the caca graphics card. CS6 lagged when working with large RAW files, plug-ins and multiple layers and iMovie was choppy when editing large 1080i files. Get the 15, solved my problems.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Garageband is sound, not graphics.

8. madflava54 macrumors member

Did you have to get the 15'' with a dGPU?

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I doubt it, I could run GarageBand smoothly on my 2006 1st gen Macbook. And that is with a Core Duo (Not even Core 2) and 5400 RPM HDD.

I'd try resetting the pram, but it is most likely a software issue. Did you restore from backup? Is it a huge project (Lots of separate tracks?)

10. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

What he's describing is visual, not audio. Thats graphics.

----------

Just the entry level 15

11. madflava54 macrumors member

Not sure how that solves the problem IMO. The quad core processor is faster and renders things quicker, but I think the problem is the retina display pushing the GPU. I could be wrong though.

12. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

Nope, not a huge project- only two tracks: recording guitar and vocals simultaneously. I'll try to reset the PRAM when I get home. Really don't want to shell out extra $200 for i7 for the 13" and the 15" is too big and not as mobile.

For those with Logic Pro X, is it smoother than Garageband? Or does it require more intensive processing power?

13. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

In this case the i7 is not even a real upgrade..
    It´s 1,4% faster in singelcore and 2,6% faster in multicore..

Where I live it´s 9% more expensive so it´s basically a total waste of money..
    :)

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If the computer is literally brand new, the OS will take some time to index all the files on the drive, this can and does slow things down temporally. The CPU is more than adequate, upgrade to i7 brings minimal rewards and only of value if you are constantly "pegging" out the i5.

Q-6

15. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

My 2006 Macbook 1.83GHz/2G ram (core duo) run's Garageband (ilife 2011 ver) without any lag at all. I'm guessing your PB is either still indexing the drive (can take some time) or you have installed some program that is running in the back ground. (you didn't install some silly antivirus thing did you?)

16. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

No antivirus, but I did turn on the system firewall. How long does it take to index the drive? My laptop is 2 days old.

Do you recommend turning off all spotlight indexing? I don't even use spotlight...

17. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

All I know is that the benchmarks I ran in GeekBench 3 on the rMBP 15 (high 11k range) were nearly twice as fast as the new rMBP 13 (low 6k range) in multi-thread. I believe the 15 has a better GPU as well.

18. madflava54 macrumors member

Hmm, interesting. I am contemplating returning my 2015 rMBP for a 2014 15'' model. I guess if BB lets me do an education plus the movers coupon, I'd be more inclined. I am just intrigued by the Force touchpad for future possibilities. My lag isn't as bad as other people, but I do notice some lag on window resizing and space switching. It's not terrible, but I can appreciate it. Just believe there should be ZERO lag when it comes to a brand new machine with an i5, super fast SSD and 16gb of ram. My laptop is 7 days old now so indexing should be done.

19. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

I have a 2012 retina (signature) and I've experienced the same as you since the 1st day. 3 generations after launching and apple never fixed it so thats seems is a problem software related since graphics now are more powerful enough to drive retina machines.

20. madflava54 macrumors member

It was present in Mavericks as well?

21. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

System firewall is fine...Indexing would only take a few hr's at worst...Spotlight is probably not a issue,as other's have said it's sound more like a issue with newer Garageband and Maverick's and Yosemite...

22. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

23. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

On Craigslist, I found a less than two month old mid 2014 rMBP 15 with 3 cycle counts on it for $136 more than the new rMBP 13 I got from Best Buy. $600 less than the retail price and $400 less than the BB sale price. It was a no brainer. Bought the 15 and returned the 13.

24. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

I figured out the problem :) :D

I had my MBP pro connected to my external monitor using dual screen mode. I tried it using clamshell mode with the lid closed and basically everything is now very smooth, no lag at all! I think the problem was that the GPU power was not enough to power both displays.

25. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The 2015 13" rMBP's Iris graphics should be able to power an external display alongside an external display without much issue.