Lag on viewing document in M290X, will M295X lag?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sillythink, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sillythink macrumors member

When I scroll in large document with many details(text + image) I feel lag like the FPS is drop. It won't happen on non-retina macbook. :(
    I'm using the base model iMac retina with 24GB RAM.

Will M295X solve this problems and M295X won't face any lag? :confused:
    If yes I am gonna upgrade this iMac. :rolleyes:

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I don't have a retina iMac, but from what I've ready it will at the very least improve the situation if not "fix it". I think either graphics card is a bit overmatched by the screen, but getting the higher level card will give you the best experience.

3. leman macrumors 604

No, it will not solve the problems. There is indeed some lag in Preview with certain PDF document on retina machines, and they are there regardless the GPU performance. The problem is with Preview itself.

4. Sillythink thread starter macrumors member

Anybody with M295x???
    Not only Preview, but all document programs like Word/ Evernote, etc.

5. leman macrumors 604

That has to do with unoptimised drawing code of those applications. Retina screen demands more computation resources, so inefficient drawing that goes unnoticed on normal Macs, will lag on the retina ones. Even Apple itself still has bad code, for instance App Store. Sure, faster CPU/GPU/RAM will help to hide that lag, but the proper way to go is to make the developer fix their software.

Unfortunately, the years of overpowered hardware has spoiled the software developers, who got used to getting away with crappy code. With retina screens, this is getting more difficult. However, there are also lots of applications that work fluently with retina Macs, e.g. Safari or TextMate.

6. Sillythink thread starter macrumors member

Thx for your ans.
    I try Page, which is much better than Office Word :eek:

I think it's mainly depend on the program.
    However, I really want to know whether M295X have the same lag or not. So I can upgrade my iMac to solve the lag problems.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

As you said, it's software dependent. The only way to test is to bring the offending document into an Apple store and try it in different programs on different machines.

8. Sillythink thread starter macrumors member

So M295X won't help me to get out the lag??
    It'll just improve some FPS on gaming and faster time on PS(I'm a programmer and CS student with little design work only)?

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

We don't know. We can't know. There are a whole bunch of variables there. "Lag" isn't even a subjective measurement.

Check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1811746

Fellow uploaded a test document. Most everyone could get Preview to choke under certain conditions, even with a 295. Didn't seem to depend on the machine. But I can run another 300+ page PDF and it works fine.