Lag/stutter when switching spaces (ML and rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KimHansenDK, Aug 10, 2012.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

I finally got a new replacement (3rd) for my Retina MacBook Pro (2.3/16/265) without any dead pixel and ghosting issues. Now I am happy as this is really an amazing laptop.

The one I got had ML preinstalled and have noticed that when I switch between space with a 'normal' flick on the trackpad there seems to be a slight stutter/lag - especially in the end of the animation. Does anyone have this problem? And is it software or hardware related? If I do the flick more firmly and fast the stutter/lag seems to be at a minimal - and there is not stutter/lag when switching spaces using the 'tab' key - the same goes for mission control and launchpad.

I know that there have been a billion threads about this but I cannot seem to find a concluding answer.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm does not seem to fix it for me. Maybe it will be fixed in a future update :)

4. StefanYFC macrumors member

I've got the same thing, not awful but noticeable. I figured it would get panned out eventually.

5. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have come to the same conclusion. Everything else is just perfect on my replacement, so will not give this one up. It will be sorted out with an update I think :)

6. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Do you see less 'stutter' when switching spaces in mission control? I see some stutter with the dock unhidden, but hiding or switching spaces in mission control and the stutter disappears...

7. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

In mission control there is not lag/stutter what so ever.

But I have now noticed 1 time that when the machine is sleeping (closing the lid) then when I open it again and log in the dock seem to flicker a bit (especially when going to mission control). If i put it ti sleep and logged in again there were no problems.

I think these are only small software bugs that need to ironed out with updates. Don't you think?

8. Hazza42 macrumors newbie

Possible Solution

Sorry to bring back an old(ish) thread, but there seems to be a select few people who have this frustrating issue, including me, and I've just found a solution that no-one else seems to have posted.

It's simple really, remove spaces. I have at least 8 different desktops in my Mission Control, and I'm never using all of them. To make it worse, they all have different backgrounds that change randomly every 15 minutes to a different wallpaper from my massive library.
    Getting rid of spaces is simple for those who don't know: Just hover over a "Desktop" in Mission Control and then click the X that appears in the top left to close it. I did this until I was down to 5 desktop spaces and the whole thing runs smooth as silk now =]

Someone else please give this a try and see if it works for you too!