Lag Time

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rendevouspoo, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rendevouspoo macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there is a fix for the lag time between sliding to unlock and the actual screen appearing? My screen, everytime, is stuck on the slidebar for anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I have the 4th gen, btw.

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I get the same thing, but only if the music app has a large playlist loaded in. I have always listened to a playlist containing all my music (except children's music, hence the use of a playlist), but I recently created a new playlist that limits it to 1,000 songs and my 3G Touch now unlocks much more quickly.

Some people claim that erasing the iPod and starting over from scratch fixes it, but that hasn't worked for me.

Take note of whether or not a large playlist or loaded library affects the pause you see; that could be it.

3. rendevouspoo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, and I believe that is the problem. My playlist has just at 1100 songs on it.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

But what I'm saying is that 1,100 songs should be fine. My original playlist had almost 7,000 songs in it, and that is when the unlock screen froze for 5-10 seconds. At 1100 songs I wouldn't expect to see a 5 second pause when unlocking.

5. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

I am hoping that deleting my playlist "all" (4400 songs) will speed things up for myself. I do a lot besides music on the ipod and was just figuring out that the music app was somehow slowing things down. Thanks.

6. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

About a month back I was experiencing the same issue described by the thread starter. For this and other reasons I did a complete wipe of my touch and installed on the apps I wanted. Even with 32gb of storage used after the wipe, I didn't experience the lag issue anymore. That lasted until I started opening apps that required location services to be on.

Cliffs: I think the lag issue is caused by the apps that need locations services to well locate u.

7. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

deletion of large playlist did not improve wakeup time. Looking at location services now....

8. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I'm very interested in what your results will be; please do keep us updated.

Also, just to be clear, having a large playlist wouldn't cause the issue. *Using* the large playlist is what seems to cause the problem, at least for me and some others. So if songs from the large playlist are playing, or were playing but are now paused, and you lock your screen and later unlock it, that is when the 5-10 second delay takes place. Simply having a large playlist defined doesn't seem to be an issue.

9. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Any updates on this issue? Did you figure out what was causing the lag?

10. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

So I don't really know what to think.

I turned off location services globally- only"Maps" "Roadtrip" "skysafari" "Week Cal" and "find my iPod" were enabled. I believe the phrase I want is "snappier". No lag waiting for the slider to register. Week Cal which tends to take a while to become responsive after calling it up is responding much sooner. Numbers is still slow but maybe less so.

The kicker is that these improvements remained after I turned location services back on. I just did all this now so I will see if this changes with use.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I suspect that some of those apps may have performed a check to see if location services was enabled, discovered that they weren't, and disabled calls for location services, resulting in performance improvements.

Turning location services back on would not be enough to "tell" those apps that location services was re-enabled... so be prepared for the app to "poll" again to see if location services are on and you may see performance drop again.

I experienced lag and battery drain due to location services when running iOS 4.x. 5.x resolved those issues.

12. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

The crappy 256 MB of Ram is the cause as iOS 5 is a pig when it comes to using Ram. :mad:

13. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

Yea, slowed down again; turned loc services back on and snapped back. I guess I can live w/o find my iPod. It is such a relief when it doesn't lag. Running 5.x

14. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I have been experiencing the same type of lag. I'm going to try turning off the location services. I will report back.