lag with jpeg in preview app?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mknez, Jul 17, 2015.

1. mknez macrumors newbie

mknez

i'm seriously considering buying macbook 12 retina (1.2gzh, 512gb ssd) due to the fact, that here in thailand i can get it around 500 eur cheaper than in EU. before purchase i would like to hear some feed back info from tou guys, regarding couple of questions such as:
    - is there any lag present, while browsing jpeg photos or for example pdf magazines in preview application?
    - what about playing 720p or 1080p mkv files?

i assume i will not have any lag issues while using safari or for example microsoft word or excell?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The PDF rendering engine in OS X has been broken for some time and it shows more with the Retina MacBook as it pushes the CPU, use QuickView or install Skim, it affects all Mac`s to varying extents.

Word will fair the same as other Mac`s in that it will have some stutter if you want to scroll through the document at speed. For MkV playback use Movist as the app fully utilise`s hardware decoding 7% of global CPU over VLC`s 30% I have 20Gb+ MKV`s and they playback flawlessly on my 1.2 MacBook. Safari is no problem even with heavy sites, Chrome would be a different story.

Q-6

3. mknez thread starter macrumors newbie

mknez