Lag with rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, May 22, 2013.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

hello there,

I want to buy a new haswell rmpb (probably 15) but I went to the apple store the other day and played with one. Even if people say the UI doesn't lag and everything is smooth in safari...well I tried all the retinas at the apple store (about 12) and they all did it.

If it's a software problem, why doesn't Apple fix it? do they think people are stupid and will never want a better experience for a pricy computer? That amazes me! Is it going to be solved with 10.9 ? I know you can use the webkit, but it shouldn't be needed.

What are the chances of this problem being solved with Haswell upgrade? if the software is not same and they don't bother fixing it, then you will still feel the same scrolling lag and Ui struggle in 5 years.

Thank you

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

That is pretty hard to answer, knowing nothing about 10.9 and now haswell on the market yet. You'll just have to wait and see

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I understand that sentiment, the scrolling improvements WebKit nightly introduced should have been ready a year ago when the rMBP launched.

At that point they already saw the need for scrolling performance improvements, that's why they decided to start using Core Animation scrolling in Safari 6, but clearly that wasn't enough. They may have overestimated the resulting performance gains.

The WebKit nightly is a testbed for stable versions of Safari. Those improvements will undoubtedly come to Safari, it's just a matter of when. I'm surprised it's taking this long. Releasing with 10.9 seems like a likely timing, as new OS X versions often come with new Safari features.

I'm pretty confident it will be fixed when 10.9 is available, but that it has very little to do with Haswell. A software fix is what we need. You could temporarily use WebKit, but be aware that it crashes sometimes, that iCloud syncing doesn't work and that not all extensions work.

4. rusinc macrumors newbie

I am always using integrated video card on my retina (HD 4000) and everything working SMOOTHLY! Including scrolling. I am using google chrome. In safari everything smoothly too.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

what is lag? I don't see anything lag on my 2 weeks old rMBP…did I miss something? :apple:

6. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

yes you did. There are tons of threads about this issue :/