Lagging on my 13" rMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Jun 22, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Hi all, love the laptop, but I have a problem here.

It's the 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM model but it seems to get very sluggish if I open more than two apps. Am I the only one?

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Can you be more specific?
    And no, your computer, specially the one with the specs you're describing, should absolutely not lag with 2 apps open, of course that statement heavily depends on what programs we're talking about, but you get my point.

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I have the same model, and even with iTunes, Safari (10 tabs open), Mail, Messages, Aperture, and Calendar open, I have no lag whatsoever.

4. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

i was gonna say "more ram"

but i forgot rMBP ram are soldered in

5. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

3 tabs in chrome 2 in Safari, A keynote presentation and a pages document. Running in default resolution, I've checked Activity Monitor and I'm not even close to using 8GB with that workload.

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

What seems to be lagging, when you open a new window, when you open a new program, when you scroll, or all of the above?

Don't make us work so hard:)

7. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Ha! Sorry.

There just seems to be jerky transitions when I switch between desktops. Animations also stutter with all the above apps open and if I maximise a window in the dock that has stuttering, but again it's only with more than 2-3 apps open.

8. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Has it always done it, or is the problem new? Is it getting worse? Have you installed anything new lately?

9. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Its always done this. But I rarely open more than 2 apps anyway. It lags more during the first hour after reboot but I hardly shut it off anyway. The most recent app I installed was Aperture and that runs great.

I think its a bad graphics driver to be honest.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What OS are you on? Did you do an upgrade from the previous OS? Can you try a fresh install?

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Of course it's running 10.9.3

A fresh install is a no-go, I'll just live with a little lag because I way too much loaded onto it now and I need this everyday, a fresh install isn't worth it.

For what it's worth, my cousins 2012 rMBP shows the same problems with more than two apps. Ok maybe it's the fact that it is 4 programs spread over two desktops but still that shouldn't be enough to make it lag.

Or maybe I'm just picky lol.

But a quick update, it seems lag is no more...I have no idea what was going on. Perhaps spotlight indexing?

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Are you using one of the scaled up resolutions?

There is some UI lag unfortunately on the 13'' rMBP - most people seem to find it minor or negligible. I notice it sometimes, my main issue is with pdf scrolling that can be very slow at times.

13. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

As said in a previous post, the default resolution. Yeah scrolling is another annoyance. Glad I'm not the only one feeling the lag.

14. Serpro macrumors newbie

A lot of people said lag was fixed on their system by installing autocad try it you may succeed

15. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

How could installing AutoCAD fix the UI lag?

16. Serpro macrumors newbie

17. yimyim macrumors newbie

The 13" rMBPs lag when running a retina resolution.
    Plug it into an external display and notice the tremedously increased performance.

That, is really all. The 13"s lag all the time.

18. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

Really? I am going to buy one soon. Would upgrading the cpu help?

19. yimyim macrumors newbie

Good question.
    I cannot say as I have not been able to compare. I dont think it would really help. Stepping up to the 15" with dGPU might?

Its hard to say. The 13"s just like to lag for some reason. Take any decent sized PDF, open it in Preview and use the trackpad to zoom and slide around.... super laggy!

who knows...

20. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I haven't seen any lag. I can run WoW, Spotify, a couple of Safari tabs and iMessage and not notice any slow down. I also have the same setup as the OP.

21. ND40oz macrumors newbie

Haven't noticed any lag on mine either, even in Civ5. Wonder if the bump to 1.5GB of VRAM helped things, I didn't have mine before 10.9.3 was out.

22. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Get the high end 15" rMBP if you want a lag free computer. I noticed my high end 15" rMBP is much smoother than the others in the Apple Store.

23. sz9 macrumors newbie

At the Apple store, I've noticed significant lag when resizing windows on the 13" retina.

24. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

25. yimyim macrumors newbie

yeah, this conversation has been going on for ages.

I am pretty much convinced that the people who dont have lag are simply not that sensitive to it perhaps?

It is similar to many framerate discussions also on the net in other areas. Many people cannot notice differences and others are super-sensitive, noticing every little thing.