Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimivanliv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Sorry I'm new to macrumours hope i came to the right place...my iMac is about 4 or 5 years old never had any problems with it at all.. I installed yosemite new upgrade last night and scrolling has been lagging and just the whole cpu in general i'm just wondering what i did or what i can do to fix this ....maybe its time for a new one but i wanted to come here first thanks guys,,,,

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Reset PRAM?

Here’s how to reset your PRAM:

Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. You have to make sure you get those keys pressed before the gray screen comes up or it won’t work.
Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

May need a fresh install of Yosemite.

jimivanliv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
thanks but...

tried the rebooting thing it's still lagging....but just wondering how would i re install yosemite, i'm gonna do it just yet but want to know how and if ill lose anything i have on my cpu

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
You will want to backup your files - are you familiar with TimeMachine?

I personally like to make a bootable USB copy of Yosemite and do reinstall from that.

If you do a fresh install all your data will be deleted - therefore you need a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.