Laggy animations and Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Landy-man, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Landy-man macrumors newbie

I've had a problem with Lion for a while now and it's starting to annoy me because I can't get it sorted myself. The problem is with almost all of the system animations; Mission Control and Launch Pad especially. Mission Control doesn't open smoothly anymore - it just "pops" in to place and for example Launch Pad is so laggy sometimes it's almost impossible to use. Also when using full screen apps, when you move the cursor to the top of the screen, the animation really lags when the toolbar comes down.
    These problems didn't come straight away with Lion, they came after a few weeks of use. Then I tried doing a clean install. It worked. For a few days at least, until the exact same problems came back. Now I tried installing 10.7.2. but it didn't help.

My Mac is a mid '09 13" MBP with a 2.26 GHz processor.

Any ideas? This problem is really getting on my nerves and it makes Lion pretty awful to use.

2. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

the same thing happened to me before update to iTunes and now everything is messed up. I will gonna do a fresh install :

3. Landy-man thread starter macrumors newbie

4. superspartan macrumors member

You're not alone with this issue.... and you can't do anything to help it.

You're probably out of luck until (and if) Apple decides to optimize Lion's graphic drivers for older Macs. I found Lion's animations so sluggish (among other problems) on my 2.0 Aluminum iMac that I downgraded back to SL.

10.7.2 really didn't help me, and neither did a fresh install. Snow Leopard is silky smooth, and after realizing that iCloud on OS X is something I can live without, I'm happy back on 10.6.

5. excommie macrumors regular

Same here, my iMac 24, 2.8 with ATI 2600HD suffers from slow animations, especially after waking from sleep.
    Funny thing is that my Mac mini and my 15 MBP, both with 9400m are NOT affected.
    I was hoping 10.7.2 would fix this issue, but that didn't happen.

6. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

The only animation lag that I'm having is when I swap between full screen apps. Sometimes it is supper smooth, but it gets laggy. Anyone else having this issue??

7. excommie macrumors regular

My problem was with Genie effect (very slow after wake from sleep), youtube, videos played via sling player - all stuttered badly after waking from sleep. I just went back to SL. I forgot how nice it worked. I guess Lion is not optimized for older hardware (2008 iMac 2.8GHZ, 6GB of Ram, Radeon 2600)

8. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Is the graphics card in your macbook a 9400m gs? It seems to struggle with the Lion UI especially when on battery mode.

I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia don't optimize their drivers for Quartz thus the poor frame rate.

9. Landy-man thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's a 9400M.

So it seems the only thing I can do is wait for an update... Great. I really hope Apple comes up with a fix quick!

10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I have a new MBP 15", and the Mission Control animations just started behaving like you mention.

It's very frustrating.

11. tpg macrumors regular

What about scrolling through conversations in Mail? It's definitely not 'smooth' for me (i.e. low enough FPS to discern discrete jumps). Worse still, I've seen exactly the same behaviour on *all* the latest hardware in the Apple store! Can't help but think that perhaps quartz extreme is at least partially to blame, as disabling hardware acceleration using Quartz Debug actually seems to improve scrolling...

I'm not at all impressed by UI performance in Lion in general really :(

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

iMacs and Mac Pro's have this issue?