Laggy Internet on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hanfaith, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hanfaith macrumors newbie

I just got my 13 inch MBP a few hours ago. It's lovely and brand new... but the internet is lagging. It's not my connection - no problems with the other computers in the house.

Basically, about one in five links takes 30 seconds to a minute to load. And hulu plays for 30 seconds, then buffers (rinse and repeat). It took an hour and a half to watch a 30 minute show. I've tried firefox, safari, and chrome - it does the same thing in all the browsers.

Suggestions? I've obviously restarted and tweaked whatever I can think of.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

First time you load a new webpage on a new computer it will take time, after that everything should be back to your normal speed. See if that's the case if not report back.
    Tell us if you're wired or on WiFi.

3. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

GOOOOOO ETHERNET!
    Seriously, try it really quick

4. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

WiFi

No - it's definitely not just the first load. And occasionally when I click a link and it's loading, if I reclick the link it will pop up right away.

No problems loading anything on my other laptop.

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

If that fixes it then there's still a problem with slow wireless though...

OP, what's the signal strength like?

6. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

well maybe you are just sitting in a awful wifi spot. I know that the airport icon at the top can lie it's ass off. click the airport, while holding option to see a list of info.

7. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

From speakeasy.net, my download speed is 7.48 Mbps and my upload speed is 4.10 Mbps

8. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I get (lots of people on the wifi right now though, I can get upto 20 at night)

[​IMG]

9. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

PHY Mode: 802.11g
    BSSID: 0:21:0:6d:ef:c0
    Channel: 1(2.4 GHz)
    RSSI: -69
    Transmit Rate: 48

And I'm not in a bad wifi spot. I'm picking up more wireless options here than on my old laptop, which picked up my home network just fine.

10. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I'll have to make a genius bar appointment. Can't believe this is happening with a brand new MBP. I can't watch internet videos without constantly buffering - ridiculous.

11. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

having same issue here when doing speedtest.net 75% slower than my 1st gen 2.4 ghz 13" unibody macbook

Have tried testing it in multiple variables. 5mb down when usually near 20 and at 18-19 currently on 13" macbook. So this is very frustrating, I wonder if wifi not getting proper power on these new machines.

12. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

Have an appointment for tonight. Not how I wanted to start my first day with a new MBP.

13. ippikiokami macrumors regular

14. hanfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I ended up canceling the appointment because I thought it fixed itself... an hour later, it started doing the same thing again.

From what I can tell, it looks like the network connection is being dropped multiple times in a minute and then quickly reconnected. Airport isn't showing this, but when I stream video at certain cites, I get the error message every 10 seconds or so that the connection was lost.

I don't think it's my internet connection (haven't had a problem with Comcast previous to this) but I'm doing more research to see what I can find. This STINKS if it's a problem with a brand-new-out-of-the-box MBP. Not having any fun with it my first day. :(

15. dannn macrumors regular

i was hoping this wouldn't be an issue with the new mbp antenna placement.

i previously had an aluminum unibody macbook and experienced pretty inconsistent wifi signals with horrible streaming rates with sites like youtube

i recently switched to a white plastic unibody and have noticed dramatic improvements in wifi performance, particularly on youtube and skype conversations. and mind you, this was in the same location i was using my aluminum macbook in.

i'm guessing it's just the aluminum interfering with the signal. a flaw in design really.

can anyone else chime in on the wifi performance on these 13" mbp's? i know the 15 and 17"s got a change in antenna placement, im not sure if the 13's did. can anyone clarify???

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try a different browser? Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome………

17. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I think we all should come to conclusion that wireless internet does not work well on all MBP's... because the same thing happens to my sisters pre unibody MBP (15").. All the computers work fine in the house except for hers.. I've also heard numerous complaints of the same exact nature from a whole lot of people here and in other places.. this is the one thing that frustrates me the most about these notebooks. I'm not just complaining for the sake of it. I'd actually like to figure out why this happens and try to solve it..

My guess is that it has something to do with the metal case.. maybe they should put a plastic strip on the lcd lid where the antenna is located.. that's what they do with the 3g Ipad and the iphone. someone do this experiment..

18. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

To mock your sig: Read the thread before you post!! (at least the OP)

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Mine is working perfectly. I am about as far from my wifi router as i can get in the house and it's loading a specific youtube video that didn't load nearly fast enough on my PC which was much closer to the router.

20. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Well from case to case it may vary depending on what pc you are comparing it to, how they are positioned and environmental effects.. There are simply too many variables to consider when comparing wireless performance.

But the overall consensus from first hand experience and extensive research is that MBP's have average to below average wireless reception and internet experience..

It's definitely usable.. I"m not saying it's worthless. But Apple should take a serious look into this issue and try to make improvements even if it means adding a strip of plastic or some sort of material to the top lid where the antenna is..