laggy internet, running through server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by morrisman1, May 29, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

hi

im running my macbook through a server running osx 10.5.7. The server has dual ethernet cards, one to connect into the external network and one for my own little network, which just has my macbook on it.

ive noticed a very long delay in loading pages on the macbook, it takes about 6 seconds before anything happens and then its good and fast. Happens on every page which isnt cached.

the internet connection is capable of 60Mbps each way so its not the cause of the delay.

On the server the internet is 'snappy' and everything is near instant so i belive that the delay occurs in the network

The transfer speeds between computers are fine and pinging the server from the macbook gets speeds of around 0.2 ms. so i guess the problem lies in how the server handles the internet passthrough

Is anyone able to help me get the macbooks internet 'snappy' thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not experienced with OS X server, but it sounds like a DNS resolution issue.

Your clients are sitting asking the server where "google.com" is, and the server is doing something to cause a delay before eventually resolving it, once it's done this everything is quick like it should be.

If you set an opendns.com DNS server on your client, does it speed things up?

3. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, Network in System Prefs I think. Select your network adapter and configure its advanced settings. There should be a DNS tab there somewhere.

5. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm i fixed it...

I just cleared the old ip address in the DNS server box on the main settings pane for the ethernet port on the macbook, it then automatically selected a new one which happens to be the router address. Its blazing fast now.

I thought it was going to be something easy but i wasnt sure what.

I did try what you suggested but that didnt offer improvement but thanks anyway

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk