Laggy Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by armoguy94, Apr 17, 2009.

1. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I have a brand new (almost... september 08) Aluminum iMac which I bought new, not refurbished. 250 GB hard drive, upgraded to 4gb ram (dual channeled). Leopard is still pretty laggy and is not as snappy as I'd like it to be. It's 2.4ghz dual core.

I wiped my friend's PC which has a pentium4 processor (single core) 3.06ghz and 1GB ddr ram, completely. I totally reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled a fresh, clean version of XP pro with sp3. Boots up in 7 seconds (unbelievable) and is VERY fast.

Now, my iMac that I paid more than $1,000 for and should be much better compared to that 6 year old PC. But it boots up in more than a minute, and it gets even slower when I sign on. I don't have that many things running at once and have plenty of free memory available, and I have about 15 gb of free space but when I do maintenance to clear it to about 80gb of free space it still doesn't make any difference.

It shows how a fully updated brand new copy of XP is faster than Mac. Maybe it's less stable, but it's certainly faster from what I found.

I want to do what I did to my friends PC, erase my HD and reformat it compeltely and then reinstall a brand new copy of Leopard on it.

So I have a few questions:

1. Which is better to use, the 2 install discs that came with my iMac, or a retail Leopard disc? Cause I have both, just wondering which is better and would be faster for my Mac. What are the differences between those two discs?

2. If I reinstall the system can I just copy back my entire iTunes folder to the hard drive and iTunes will automatically read it, all my playlists will be intact etc? Because I have a lot of FLAC files in my library which iTunes does not natively support and it would be a PAIN to import them all back in, album by album.

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I am not going to tell you what to do...

I have the recovery DVDs of course that came with my iMac and a Leopard DVD I got when Leopard came out. Every so often I do something that requires that I reinstall the OS; I always use Archive and Install. Mostly because I do not want to loose my iTunes library. But after a few of those you begin to carry the problem forward with the installation and then you are faced with a clean install or an install from your recovery disks. In my case that would mean installing Tiger and upgrading that. Ouch. I make backups with several programs to several external HDs.

You are likely going to get more advice so stay tuned and make your choice.

Good luck...

3. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I would try repairing your permissions using Disk Utility and do cache and log file clearing using Onyx or Cocktail. As far as booting goes, check in system preferences (under accounts, login items) how many processes you have set up to load on boot. A large number of processes means you're going to take longer to boot. Also, did you download iWork 09 or Adobe Photoshop CS4 off a torrent site? I only ask because there was malicious code distributed with some cracked versions of that software that hogs system resources for evil elite hacker things.

Hope that helps, and I hope you don't have to do a reinstall. :(

4. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope I don't have the trojan. Haven't torrented either of those so that can't be it. As for startup and login items, I was on the phone with a really nice Apple guy and he also told me to check my startup and login items. I deleted some things in my startup items folder and I also cleared all my caches. Boot up is faster now, noticeably faster, but when it comes to actually using the computer it's still lags a bit. I don't have login items I don't need - just itunes helper and like 2 other small things like fan control.

I really don't know why my system is like this. I'd expect that after paying the few hundred extra $$ for apple tax I'd be getting a good system lol.

I also repaired all my permissions and that didn't seem to speed anything up.

The guy on the line said as long as I copy my entire iTunes folder back to the computer after it's reinstalled then everything should work fine when it comes to iTunes. Just don't know about my music that is in FLAC format though.

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Have you tried using a program like DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your directory? This will put all of the files in the right order which should help.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i would definitely try Onyx.. or try to find a better solution with your flac files and do a clean install

7. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. I just reinstalled my entire computer and everything turned out fine, just dropped my iTunes folder back and everything worked, even the FLAC files still work which is a great surprise :D

And now it's running pretty fast too. But not as fast as my friends old and worse PC..lol, whatever though.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If it is any consolation, that XP install will be running slower within a couple weeks. The boot optimizer starts sucking in all kinds of stuff that really isn't needed, and it burdens the time til desktop appears. But yes, XP can really move quick when everything is working right.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I posted something similier in another thread. My system seems a little laggy also. On a mac pro with 8 gigs of ram. CS3 runs ok. Photoshop doesn't open as quick as it used to thou. And this is a legit version that I purchased.

Just seems to be moving really slow.

Question:

If I clean out my cache on my browser is there anywhere else files are stored that need to be cleaned?

Does the Mac keep temp files? If so where and do those need to be cleaned?

I haven't checked my startup, althugh that hasn't been an issue, but I will do that when I am on my Mac tonight.

10. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

If it's possible, I would suggest you just do what I did to avoid all struggles and make the outcome even better than doing maintenance on it, just reinstall it with all your important stuff backed up.

You can clean all your Cache by going to your Cache folder in your Library folder and dumping everything out. Also, try downloading a nice App called Onyx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html

Sorry for the late reply, hope you get it working normally again if you haven't already.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yeah I got onyx and I also got xslimmer. Seems to be working pretty darn good now.

Thanks again