Laggy Mac - Slower Than Normal Hard Drive Read Speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, May 30, 2011.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Generally my Mac has been slow since I got it. To cut a long story short: I had a 7200RPM hard drive in a MBP, which I sold for a 2010 MacBook Air. I got really used to the MacBook Air's speed, given it has an SSD (that was my first time using an SSD). I then exchanged the Air for the new MBP.

Anyway, I put down the sluggishness of my MBP to the fact that I was so used to an SSD before hand. However, I've been monitoring the hard drive read speeds, and when doing hard drive intensive stuff (i.e. booting up a virtual machine or loading Photoshop) the read speeds are on average 5MB/s, peaking 12.5MB/s briefly. Booting up Parallels Desktop literally brings my Mac to a crawl - I've used Parallels for years, and on my old MBP, same setup, while it slowed things down during boot, it never came to a standstill (Safari beachballing, not able to do anything until Parallels has finished booting the VM).

This is a stock 5400RPM hard drive. Is this normal read speed? Perhaps Activity Monitor isn't the best way to measure disk performance..

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Activity Monitor is most certainly not the best way to measure read performance. Check the logs for something along the lines of 'disk0s2: I/O error'. /var/log/kernel.log in 10.6, or /var/log/system.log in 10.5 and earlier.