Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I just recently started experiencing my MBA lag more... but it is most noticeable when scrolling.

I also get the beach ball more than I did when I first bought it

It isn't that old, I don't think it should be doing slowing down yet.

I use it for work and have many days a week where i have 300mb files or so that i download and delete. That wouldn't affect the SSD making it slower, would it?

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Not likely.

You aren't using DisplayLink drivers by any chance, are you?

I'm using whatever came default with the computer haha

how do i know what to check?

also... wow i am just browsing the internet and i can hear the fan roaring at 4000+ rpm... this is getting ridiculous

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
You obviously have something running that takes up much from your cpu. Open Activity Monitor and sort the processes by "% cpu" column with descending order. The process that eats your cpu power should be on top.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
You obviously have something running that takes up much from your cpu. Open Activity Monitor and sort the processes by "% cpu" column with descending order. The process that eats your cpu power should be on top.

safari was the highest and i had no videos, flash, nothing running.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
How many Safari windows and tabs do you have open? Which MBA do you have, spec wise? I have the newest one, highest config and I've got several Safari windows and tabs, FF windows and tabs, Chrome windows and tabs (I do web work) and it does seem to lag for me too. But I can understand why since I've got so much stuff open. I really hope Apple bumps the MBA up to 8GB RAM in the next release.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
How many Safari windows and tabs do you have open? Which MBA do you have, spec wise? I have the newest one, highest config and I've got several Safari windows and tabs, FF windows and tabs, Chrome windows and tabs (I do web work) and it does seem to lag for me too. But I can understand why since I've got so much stuff open. I really hope Apple bumps the MBA up to 8GB RAM in the next release.

only a normal amount of safari tabs

i have the base 2011 13 mba

it doesn't happen all the time, but the times it is noticeable, it is really annoying, bc that shouldn't be happening with this product

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
only a normal amount of safari tabs

i have the base 2011 13 mba

it doesn't happen all the time, but the times it is noticeable, it is really annoying, bc that shouldn't be happening with this product

What's a normal amount? How many windows and how many tabs each? You're sure about no flash? I think it's listed as "Shockwave Flash" in Activity Monitor (then again, I never installed Flash manually - I'm only running Flash in Chrome, which is sandboxed). Perhaps either there is something that is CPU/memory hungry or the lag you perceive is actually normal and you just don't find it satisfactory. Maybe it's also the screen quality.. but these are just guesses.

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
I've been having a similar problem with my 2010 11" air. Doesn't seem to matter how many tabs I have open either...hmm...

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
What's a normal amount? How many windows and how many tabs each? You're sure about no flash? I think it's listed as "Shockwave Flash" in Activity Monitor (then again, I never installed Flash manually - I'm only running Flash in Chrome, which is sandboxed). Perhaps either there is something that is CPU/memory hungry or the lag you perceive is actually normal and you just don't find it satisfactory. Maybe it's also the screen quality.. but these are just guesses.

like 3 or 4 tabs and i use flash block

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.