Laggy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Is anyones mac pro laggy? My current pro which is getting sent back seems to be a bit laggy. For example when I type in Coloquy words that i've typed pop up after 3-4 seconds sometimes. This also happened in iChat; Vista was laggy, but I did not expect OSX with 4 cores and 6gb of ram to be laggy. What's the deal? Is OSX just laggy like that or is it coloquy and ichat? Or is it just a bad Mac Pro?

2. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I would definitely say a bad macpro. You shouldn't have any problems like that on any machine with a decent amount of RAM and video card.

Your connection might play a bit of a problem but I don't see it causing lag like that. It's a good thing you're sending it back.

3. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

I know this might sound kinda stupid but, did you download anything and also have you been opening lots of documents at the same time (Like 40 - 100 documents at the same time)

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 4 spaces with 3-4 apps in each open. I'm only using 2.0gb of ram or so I have another 4 left (free).

5. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay, have you been to any bad sites with pop-ups and stuff?

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, of course not, I can see what's running with ps. Nothing outside of the normal apps I started myself. But there is evident lag. :( I'm sure it's related to the memory controller/video issue. :(

7. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Have you made any movies recently or updated your mac?

8. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it's been like this since day one. I've began to notice it more now that I pay attention to it.

9. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Are you sure you checked that you ordered the correct one? Maybe you are taking it too serious, I sometimes lagg too, even when I got my MacBook, maybe when you ordered it, you ordered some extra apps

10. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Extra apps? I ordered the correct setup - yes; I'm also sure it's the correct setup... There are no extra apps running, there are no viruses or spyware, or anything else running that should not be. This is clear evident running ps in terminal.

This seems to be an issue with the video card and memory controller.

11. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

So you didn't download anything yet, and its brand new, nothing done

Hmm... so when you talk on I-chat, you lagg, maybe you or your friends keep on spamming and as Everythingisnt had said about the connection

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Have you made sure the RAM is correctly seated?

13. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is most definitely seated correctly. I've ran memtest and it reports no errors. Only certain applications lag at certain times, but in general the computer does not feel fast at all. It's also running cool, not hot as one would guess.

14. schreck macrumors regular

My new quad tower has the same problem. I currently have 3 apps open in space 1, and one in the other three spaces. When I switch between them there is obvious lag. My MacBook experienced nothing like this. A quad core with a supposed "better" graphics card can't even handle it. Should I contact Apple also?

15. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're going to have to return it, it's a pretty severe issue with all of the Ati equipped Mac Pro's! :(

16. schreck macrumors regular

Any chance 10.5.2 will help resolve any of these issues? In all honesty, it doesn't sound like the issues that I'm having are as severe as yours, as text input has never been a problem. Google Earth, for example, is kind of glitchy, as is Spaces whenever I run quite a few apps at once.

17. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Yea, I think you are taking it a bit serious mate Mr.PS

18. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Is Spaces the culprit?

Both users reporting problems so far in this thread said they are using Spaces, which is a feature introduced with Leopard. I'd look at Spaces as the primary suspect before considering hardware issues. Do the lags occur when Spaces isn't active?

19. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

With and without spaces the results are the same. Good thing this machine is going back, there is obvious lag... It's not spaces, ichat, or coloquy, it's hardware, or software. But Leopard runs perfectly fine on many other older machines and laptops. So that leaves hardware...

20. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

You coluld try to install a new, clean system on a other disk / partition. I heard from many people having problems with slow leopard that the troubles were gone after a new install.
    Not a very quick, but a clean way to test if it's the machine or the software

21. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Completely untrue.

22. peejack macrumors 6502a

Mr.PS I think it's to do with video card issue im getting similar on mine.

23. peejack macrumors 6502a

Not completely untrue just somewhat untrue. The ATI issue doesn't seem too effect ALL Mac Pro's but in this case I think it is the cause.

24. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope it is. I really cannot imagine a quad core machine with 6gb of ram being this slow. I'm reformatting and packing up my Mac Pro for return as we speak. I plan on reordering with the 8800GT and 8 cores. Hopefully it's lag, artifact, and screen flcker free!

25. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

It's the inclusion of "all" that made it completely untrue :)

I tend to be the sort of person who reads these things
    literally, so pinch of salt etc.

But really, it isn't "all" (no problems here). It may be "many",
    "some", "a few", "a minute infinitesimal statistical scattering".

We really do not know.