Lagspikes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bolteh, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

Hello,

Since a few days, my internet has been having lagspikes every now and then. These lagspikes can be noticed in WoW, Ventrilo and often in Safari/Firefox when loading pages. The latency of WoW and Ventrilo keep jumping from between 30 to 1000 or even more at times.

I've tried resetting my router, tried rebooting obviously, had a call with my ISP and they said there shouldn't be any network issues in my area. So that leaves me with one last possibility: a virus/worm/adware/any other kind of annoying ware that can mess up your computer.

Now, I'm not new to the whole computer/internet thing, and I've always been very careful on what sites I visit and what links I click and i'm 99.9% sure I've never visited any site that could cause possible threat.

But still, is there some scanner (pref freeware) to check for any sinister software on a Mac?

I'm using OS X 10.5.2 on a 2.8ghz 24" iMac.

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

I've been having similar issues for a while now, but I can't decide if it's my computer or my ISP using some sort of traffic shaping. I get these lag spikes while I'm using the campus internet as well. It's hard to tell though because on campus I'm using wireless while at home I use ethernet.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Are you using a wireless access point? If so, it is the wireless that is most likely causing this. Look for interference, change channels, or use a cable. Oh, and make sure you are up to date on software updates, including on the wireless access point.

4. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I'm all connceted up with a cable, no wireless stuff around.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

Every mac in my office experiences these lags and nobody with a PC complains about it. It isn't just Safari, either. It's any browser I've tried...

6. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

But it only started happening a few days ago (day or 4 ago).. It's been fine before..