Laid Off

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Got laid off Dec 5th. Things have been alright - called my contacts I knew and asked if they were hiring. No. Sent out resumés to places in the area that were hiring. Haven't heard anything back. Now onto looking for any job I could perhaps be qualified for: Best Buy, grocery stores, department stores, etc. Nothing. There really isn't that much work out there for me to do. It's been almost a month and a half and work is scarce.

Any advise to keep me afloat? I do live with my girlfriend and while she does make enough for both of us to live on the bare necessities, I'd like to contribute to our lifestyle and not become a burden.

I have my BFA in Visual Communications.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Sorry to hear you're not getting hired.
    Maybe try applying at an Apple Store.
    Hell if you're really desperate you can apply at a fast food restaurant.
    Just don't work for Wal Mart, that would be low, unless it's your only choice.

3. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5331997.ece

My guess would be to contribute as much as you can around the house with the unpaid work whilst you keep on the lookout for work. I think any time spent looking into get rich quick schemes, or these schemes for steady income by advertising x or bulk-buying y is wasted time. Best of luck though, it must be a tough situation.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry to hear.

Having a job is usually better than no job at all.

You can always change jobs in the future.

Why?

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I'd rather work for a Wal-mart than a McD's.

I worked at one in Highschool and it was just depressing overall (but if it comes down to it I might have to apply).

Wal-Mart doesn't sound like bad work - the closest one may be too far (gf and I share a car).

We're moving pretty soon and I've been doing most of the packing so I haven't just been lying around :) Been good keeping busy. We're moving closer to her job so I'd be able to extend my job search a little further (drop her off at work on my way and the like).

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

man, im sorry, thats really rough

get on monster and other job sites for sure. you cant believe how many people will contact you, at least from my experience when i went on there

also, try going to staffing agencies as well

as far as walmart type jobs, look into grocery stores possibly as well. beats out fast food by miles imo

at least you have a degree in something. alot of jobs require a 4 year degree even unrelated to the job in many cases so be sure to look at everything as a possibility

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I've heard that you don't really get any benefits and they abuse the fact that you're there.
    A lot of other stuff too.
    Although, all that may have changed over time.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd suggest trying the public library. I'm going to apply for the 2010 census soon.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

What?

It's simple: Bills have to be paid. :rolleyes:

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and ive heard working at an apple store (one of your reccomendations) is even worse....not kidding

that they do. any job helps

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I know that. That's why I basically said if he has to then do it.
    But if he has a choice some other jobs may be better.

Oh. I guess we have been hearing different things. I wouldn't mind it. And often sometimes when I'm there they say they really like it.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

It comes down to what's offered. Then choose from those. ;)

13. Avaj macrumors member

Sorry to hear this and I hope you find something soon

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Walmart is the #1 employer is something like 38 states. It's not so bad - starting in a store just gets your foot in the door.

7on, what were you doing? As in what experience do you have besides a degree?

Also, check out the big temp agencies to see what they might have - Manpower, OfficeTeam, Net-temps, etc...
    http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/tempjobs/a/tempjobs.htm

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you qualify for unemployment? That might be a place to start, and to buy you some time while you hunt for a job.

It's gonna be a rough time for anyone looking for work right now. Good luck...

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Some unemployment offices might help by allowing someone to use their resources, even if they can't qualify for benefits. Depends on location, I would think.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I bet you haven't heard a thing about employment at either Apple or Walmart, and just make it all up as you go along.

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Just got my first pay check at a new job. I'm still in High school, and my check was $832 :D

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- being laid off is just awful. Do what you have to do, and keep your chin up. It won't last forever.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds like it.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Mactastic got laid off last Friday. :(

School construction came to a screeching halt in December with the PMIB deciding to withhold further funding until the state legislature reaches agreement on a budget and the governator accepts it.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a while before the design and construction industry gets going again.

Good times...

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sucks dude. I've been out of work since September. About this >< close to starting a new business though. Hope you can weather it and find something.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ouch. :(

Hopefully it won't be as long a lull in the construction market as you predict. ;)

Good luck. :)

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I feel lucky that I found my job in these times. It's nice working for the county.