Lame "Find my iPhone" question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidra, Aug 7, 2012.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Assume I want to see where my children are from my own iPhone instead of from a computer. Can I just log into iCloud via Safari with their info and check on them through my phone? Will anything get messed up if I log into someone else's iCloud while on my own phone?

2. lpeedin macrumors regular

Assuming you feel it necessary to know where your children are, why don't you just install and use the iPhone "Find My iPhone" app.

3. DefBref macrumors 6502

Or the Find my friends app. Where you don't need to know the account, they just need to accept your request.

You won't be able to get to icloud.com on safari on a idevice, apple expects you to use apps instead.

4. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Not exactly sure what the app adds to the "Find My iPhone" I have been using (if that wasn't clear, sorry). I have been able to find their phones on a computer using iCloud and a Windows computer, since they have "Find my iPhone" turned on in iCloud on their phones. I've not tried to find their phones on my iPhone, which has a different iCloud and Apple account number. So I guess to be specific, if I download the app to my iPhone and log in using their iCloud account number, I would be able to see where their phone is and it wouldn't mess up my phone because I logged in using another account number? Sorry if I'm confused about this.....

5. lpeedin macrumors regular

That is correct. Install the app on your phone and then use their ID and password.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yes, you are pretty confused.
    Find my iPhone is an application, a simple application. You input one's data, and basing on that it will show where the linked devices are. It doesn't even save what you input, so each time you have to re enter it.

7. lpeedin macrumors regular

True, in fact if you go to icloud.com on your iDevice you will be given 3 choices, two of which are Find My Friends and Find My iPhone.

8. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it. What was confusing to me was the fact that I could use "Find my iPhone" on iCloud from a computer without any app. I also didn't realize I couldn't access iCloud through Safari on the phone. I did download the app and was able to use it to find the appropriate iPhone. Don't really think I need the Find my Friends app but I'll look at it. Thanks.