Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkSorrow82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
I can't write application reviews or edit them!!

IMG_0406.JPG

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Bata testers can't write reviews.

It is still not ethical. Beta testers should NOT post reviews.
Well, if it has to do with an issue that's not really related to the beta, then why not. If it is related to the beta, then people should be contacting the developer (and/or at least providing feedback to Apple).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Well, if it has to do with an issue that's not really related to the beta, then why not. If it is related to the beta, then people should be contacting the developer (and/or at least providing feedback to Apple).

1. TOS agreement states that you don't rate apps while beta testing
  2. Possibility that what you believe is not related might in fact be related (are you a software engineer?)
Leave reviews and ratings to current version users only. If you want to do this then do the right thing and revert to iOS 9 to test. It is extremely unfair to developers to rate and review their apps when they have not been given the opportunity to update their apps to the OS version you are using. This is no matter what is happing or what you believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABC5S

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
  2. Possibility that what you believe is not related might in fact be related (are you a software engineer?)
Leave reviews and ratings to current version users only. If you want to do this then do the right thing and revert to iOS 9 to test. It is extremely unfair to developers to rate and review their apps when they have not been given the opportunity to update their apps to the OS version you are using. This is no matter what is happing or what you believe.
If I can confirm the issue is happening with a non-beta versions of iOS then what's the issue again? Seems like we are talking about different aspects of it all here.

Reactions: Yun0

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Why would you want to write a review of an App that was developed and tested on/for iOS 9 while running a beta of iOS 10? I'm happy that Apple did this.

Reactions: TurboPGT!

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009

Or perhaps you had the same issue in iOS9 and it persists in the iOS10 beta and you'd like to review it on that basis. You can't make blanket statements without all the facts and particulars of a given situation.
[doublepost=1472561738][/doublepost]Another situation was a game that I've played on iOS 7 through 9 without trouble. in iOS10, there are rendering problems that make the graphics shift half off the screen and it's unplayable now. I tried reporting the problem to them on their website, looked everywhere for a support email address/phone and got nowhere. After exhausting all other avenues, I reviewed it on the App Store to call attention to the problem. We're in the 7th public beta, probably very close to GM, and it's still happening. I'm hoping that maybe the review will get through to them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How in the world would you know if an issue is with the Beta, or an app that hasn't been updated to make use of the new APIs? Unless it's your own app (which you shouldn't review anyway) how in the world would you personally make that determination????

If you're confirming an issue both inside and outside the beta, who's to say that when the app is updated for the new iOS version the issue itself won't be solved by moving to the new/updated API's?

You're suggestion of letting such a small subset of users willing to put the work into testing a bug in a particular app (that you yourself are not developing) it frankly doesn't make sense to allow it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How in the world would you know if an issue is with the Beta, or an app that hasn't been updated to make use of the new APIs? Unless it's your own app (which you shouldn't review anyway) how in the world would you personally make that determination????

If you're confirming an issue both inside and outside the beta, who's to say that when the app is updated for the new iOS version the issue itself won't be solved by moving to the new/updated API's?

You're suggestion of letting such a small subset of users willing to put the work into testing a bug in a particular app (that you yourself are not developing) it frankly doesn't make sense to allow it.
I never said anything about allowing it. I simply commented on the part about someone being able to do it from iTunes that someone else replies to sayings that beta testers shouldn't post reviews at all, like someone who is beta testing can't come across an actual app issue that they can't post a review about.

For example, a new version of an app comes out where things have been redesigned and a previously existing option for dark mode has been removed and a section with your favorites now displays not only your favorites but other suggestions that weren't displayed before and the widget that the app provides no longer updates (whether you are using iOS beta or not). That has nothing to do with any iOS beta or anything like that, so why is it somehow "not ethical" for you to post a review about that using iTunes let's say?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I never said anything about allowing it. I simply commented on the part about someone being able to do it from iTunes that someone else replies to sayings that beta testers shouldn't post reviews at all, like someone who is beta testing can't come across an actual app issue that they can't post a review about.

For example, a new version of an app comes out where things have been redesigned and a previously existing option for dark mode has been removed and a section with your favorites now displays not only your favorites but other suggestions that weren't displayed before and the widget that the app provides no longer updates (whether you are using iOS beta or not). That has nothing to do with any iOS beta or anything like that, so why is it somehow "not ethical" for you to post a review about that using iTunes let's say?
I'm not sure why it's so pressing for your one review to get in during this extremely limited use case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure why it's so pressing for your one review to get in during this extremely limited use case.
I'm not sure whether or not someone thinks it's worthwhile for someone else to post a review for something has anything to do with it being "not ethical".

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not sure whether or not someone thinks it's worthwhile for someone else to post a review for something has anything to do with it being "not ethical".
As you elaborated I got a better understanding of what you were discussing, so no I don't think (from my understanding now) what you are saying is unethical.

It is however an extreme fringe case that I can understand why Apple clearly hasn't put the effort into considering.

This makes sense right? I'm not trying to be hostile, I just understand what you were describing in more detail now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As you elaborated I got a better understanding of what you were discussing, so no I don't think (from my understanding now) what you are saying is unethical.

It is however an extreme fringe case that I can understand why Apple clearly hasn't put the effort into considering.

This makes sense right? I'm not trying to be hostile, I just understand what you were describing in more detail now.
First something like that is not a fringe case as it happens with many apps and many reviews are about that kind of thing.

Second, and more importantly, you seem to still miss the point that I addressed earlier--I wasn't talking about the ability to review needing to be in an iOS beta, my replies were to and in the context of another post that mentioned that it's somehow "not ethical" to post reviews through iTunes simply because you might be using a beta. (Also not trying to be hostile, just explaining it all, again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.