LAME on MacBook for use with Audacity! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by likeabadhabit, Oct 9, 2007.

1. likeabadhabit macrumors newbie

I'm pretty new to the whole Mac OSX way of computing, so this is probably a stupid error to make...
    HOWEVER...
    I recently installed Audacity on my MacBook, which worked fine, but when I went to export my track to MP3 form, it told me I needed to install an encoder called LAME.
    So I went to the Audacity webpage and downloaded the LAME application. The problem is that now I cannot install the application as every icon I click on in the downloaded file, I get the message "There is no application specified to open this type of file" or something along those lines.
    Is there another application I need to install in order to complete the installation of LAME or is there another programme I can use that is guaranteed to work?
    Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I am not sure but I think you just stick that file in some folder for Audacity and then in the Audacity preferences point to it.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

http://spaghetticode.org/lame/

4. likeabadhabit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, have put it in the file and found the correct Preferences link but it won't let me select the libmp3lame.dylib file...any idea why?

5. Baron58 macrumors 6502

change the extension from .dylib to .lib or .dll and try again.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Do you mean that when you select export as mp3 and them locate lame you can't choose the file?

7. likeabadhabit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's right. Have tried changing the format to .dll and .lib but neither works.

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

As you say this is urgent, you can export from Audacity as AIFF and use iTunes or Max to convert it into mp3.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Download Audacity again. I prefer the 1.3.3 beta. Create a folder in Applications called Audacity. Copy Audacity.app, the Nyquist folder, the Plugin folder, and maybe even the Languages folder. You can delete the rest of the languages if you want. Then download the Lame plugin from the link I provided. Make sure it's the one that says:

Open up the zip file if it doesn't automatically open. Click on Package, USR, Local, Lib, and drag the libmp3lame.dylib file as-is into the Plugins folder in that Audacity folder in Applications. Open the Audacity.app, got to Audacity, Preferences, File Formats, and go down to where it says MP3 Export Setup. Click on Find Library, then Browse to that Plugin folder and click on the libmp3lame.dylib file. Click Ok, then Ok, then you're all set.

That should work fine now.

10. arcoates macrumors newbie

Easier way to do it

after you install the lame library package - right click on the package and select "show contents". Open the zipped file "Archive.pax.gz" - once opened, you should find the ".dylib" file that you need. Then save the file to wherever you want to keep it, like in the same folder as you Audacity app. Worked for me nicely.

Cheers