Lan hdd problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by docx, May 19, 2012.

1. docx macrumors member

Hi
    Please can anyone help.
    I have just bought an Akasa LAN hdd caddy. It works when connected to my imac with USB but when I connect it to my Thomson modem/router and launch the software for connecting nothing happens. all I get is a small spinning wheel but no connection
    If I look in my router settings I can see the device but it says unknown next to the interface.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you go into your and tell the router to share that connected device? What router do you have? What format is the connected drive?

3. docx thread starter macrumors member

Hi
    I have a Thomson TG585v7 router. Drive is formatted FAT 32. I am not sure how to tell the router to share the device. I looked through the menus and could not find anything like this.
    Thanks for your help

4. chown33 macrumors 604

How do you know a Thomson TG585v7 router will share a hard drive? Did you go to the manufacturer's website and look for a User Manual or User Guide? What does it say about connecting and sharing a hard drive?

When I google thomson router shared hard disk, I see some results that suggest a TG587 (or other models) can share a hard disk. I see no such thing for a TG585.

When you say you "launch the software for connecting", exactly what software is this? Software that came with your Thomson router? Software that came with the Akasa case? Something else?

Exactly which model is the "Akasa LAN hdd caddy"? Post a URL or the exact model number.

The more specifics you supply, the better we can understand what's possible. Without knowing specifics, we have to guess.

5. docx thread starter macrumors member

Hi
    The support guy from Akasa told me that the software is not compatible with Lion.
    Never mind I will use it with USB for now as they are working on a Lion update.
    Thanks anyway, Guys like you are a big help to a mac newbie like me and are part of the reason I will never go back to a PC.