LAN/Network Messaging Client

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLog.Genius, Apr 6, 2009.

1. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Does anybody know of any free IM clients for network use only? I have quite a few computers in the house and would like to have IM between them. I know I could use iChat/AIM/Yahoo!/AIM/WLM but no one in the house really uses those clients except me. I just want something that can cross platform with Windows and OS X and separate from friends/family.

Thanks!

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

You must have a pretty big home, in my house shouting works pretty well.

It's not LAN based, but it's another option: I use Google Talk / Gmail Chat to communicate with my family. There is a client for windows, and it also works right out of your gmail inbox for chat, and there is a plug-in (for video/sound), I always have gmail tab open, so it works for me.

3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

iChat and Gaim will both do "Bonjour" IM which will work on one network only and requires no registration or complicated setup.

It may be referred to as link-local in some documentation as well.

4. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I have iChat/Bonjour between the Mac's but need something for Windows. Again, I just want something just for LAN but if there isn't one out there for free, I guess I can get the rest of the house on AIM or Google Talk, even though it isn't "one" client, it would be AIM/Google Talk and iChat

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

6. TheVendor macrumors member