LAN on Mac with no internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hierik, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hierik macrumors member

Hey Guys

So i'm going to France with a couple of friends for a week. We're interested in playing COunter Strike Source against each other, but we don't have any internet connection. Is there anyway we can connect our mac's through a router or wires or something, and play offline against each other?

Best Regards and I hope you can help me ! :)

2. wrldwzrd89, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Assuming the game supports offline play, and you have enough Ethernet cables and/or a wireless access point to connect all the Macs, there should be no issues with getting the Macs to talk to each other.

EDIT: All that's needed if you go the wired approach is a hub or switch, and enough Ethernet cables to connect all the Macs to the hub/switch, as well as enough ports on the hub/switch for all the Macs to connect to.

3. hierik thread starter macrumors member

So what would be the approach ? Just connect all the macs through ethernet cables and that's it or ?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, that is correct. No further setup needs to be performed, since the Macs will automatically detect each other after the cables are connected.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

a DHCP server of sorts is recommended for ease of setting up. i.e. a router! do you have a router?

if so, connect up all the macs and obtain dynamic IP addresses from the router. then in the game you want to start a LAN networked game (sometimes called a LAN game). should be good from there.

6. hierik thread starter macrumors member

Is there any possibility that I could connect just 1 mac to the router, and the ones could just wirelessly connect or ?

And yes I have a router :)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

provided that you setup the wireless aspect of the router correctly (with correct password, etc) then yes that will be perfectly fine :)

8. hierik thread starter macrumors member

the router correcty, without wireless internet?

9. dXTC, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

^^ Yes, you'll need to set up the wireless portion of the router so that any computers that have WiFi can connect wirelessly to the router, get an IP address via the router's DHCP and thus see other computers also connected, either wirelessly or by Ethernet. The Internet/WAN portion will not need setting up.

10. hierik thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks ! :) But how can I do that? How do I configure the router?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

through the wired computer, open web brower and try 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254 - any of those work? you configure in there

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A few routers use 10.x.x.x addresses too, usually 10.0.0.1 for configuration.

13. Alrescha macrumors 68020

This was the right answer. You don't need a router, you don't need a DHCP server, you don't need complications. The Macs will all self-assign IP addresses and talk to each other, providing you haven't changed the Network settings in System Preferences.

If you want to do it wirelessly, pick one of the Macs and choose Create Network in the wireless icon in the menu bar. Connect to that network with the other Macs. It won't be as fast as the wired network, but it will work. Again, no router is necessary.

A.

14. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'll agree with this if all computers on the ad-hoc network are Macs. However, if some are Windows PCs, this might not work so well, at least not automatically.

15. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I rest my case.

A.

16. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Bien joué. :)