LAN pc's will not resolve by name

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tsduke, Nov 20, 2011.

1. tsduke macrumors regular

I've just recently purchased a macbook pro. I'm having an issue reach pc's on my network through rdp or ping.

When I ping any local pc I get an external address returned. 67.215.65.132

Any idea what could be causing it?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That IP is swipped to opendns.net

I suspect that it's in your DNS/network configuration but without more specifics it's hard to tell. Could even be you have your local firewall blocking the ports necessary for DNS to work.

3. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still racking my brain on this. Only my new MBP has this issue. PC's in my lag work fine.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

We don't know your environment.

However at the end of the day, something has to accept and respond to the name resolution request. If there is nothing authoritative it is going to be forwarded on to the DNS responsible for those resolutions (likely an internet source) which explains why you are getting that address.

So the question is: What in your environment is providing names resolutions?

Are you relying on an actual DNS server? If so, is that MacBook Pro configured with those DNS servers (assuming they aren't coming DHCP).

If you aren't relying on an actual DNS server, then WINS is likely what you are relying on.

Is there a WINS Server? Add it in Network prefs for your interface.
    Relying purely on Workgroup? Add in the proper workgroup on your network interface.

What you need to find out is what method is allowing your PCs to resolve those names and configure properly.

5. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

Dlink DIR-655 router.

Relying on workgroup. I have no DNS or WINS server internally. DNS has my router as DNS server. Router has OpenDNS ip's for DNS. I've got my workgroup set in the wins tab. I've played with settings in my router such as enabling/disabling dns relay(which will change dns mbp back and forth from router to opendns), enabling netbios announcement and setting it to broadcast. So far I'm striking out.

I've been nothing but a pc guy as well as work in IT with an all pc environment. I have no issues with pc's and I know my way around them quite well, but the OS X world is new to me.

6. calderone, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you have the workgroup set I can't really think of much else you can do off the top of my head. Let me think about this and play around a bit.

I assume you are running Lion (nmblookup was removed)

Try this:

Code:
    smbutil lookup NAME
    Replace name with the computer. Let me know what you get.