LAN Problems with leopard (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fluidedge, Sep 23, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Hi I've just arrived at uni and setup my MP i have an internet connection (obviously) but it's slow and jumpy; one minute i'll get pages loading quite quickly and the next they'll just hang up and time out. Downloads are almost impossible. I'll manage about 100kb then it'll stall, i can stop it and restart it and get say another 70kb then it stalls again.

Now this could just be the uni having first week problems - thousands of people overloading in the first week (some of my flat mates have said they're having trouble)

However i'm writing this because i think it might be more than that. The way the internet is working is very reminiscent of the dreaded Leopard Wireless problems that have made browsing such a misery for many leopard wireless users.

Has anyone any experience of connecting up to university/college networks with a mac pro. The uni uses DHCP to do things.

help appreciated! :confused:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if your LAN was working fine at home its safe to say that its either problems in your uni dorm or problem with the uni network. have you contacted an admin?

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

true. I was connected directly to the router at home though, not sure if that makes a difference. I imagine the IT admins are just throttling bandwidth or something like that for the first week so they can test the system rather than overload it and crash it?

4. bigmedia macrumors newbie

Welcome to university internet, the home of crappy connections, slow downloads, and general unreliability.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Maybe but then again you aren't the first year to have moved in to this Uni, they must get it every year and should fully be prepared for it/able to handle it.

It would be worth sending a message to your computer support people because they can tell you if they are doing it or not and if not they can help diagnose the problem.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Ha True that, thats all my mate bitches about!

7. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I'm a postgrad and we're in brand new accommodation so they might not have quite got the settings right yet for our subnet?

8. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

just going back to my original question, has anyone had any trouble connecting a mac pro to a college campus network and found the connection to be really jumpy, get page timeouts, stalling downloads etc?