Lan using airport (extreme and express) really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aleza84, Jun 9, 2014.

1. aleza84 macrumors newbie

Guys I need some help debugging my network, my home LAN.

I am using an airport extreme and airport extreme as a repeater/extender.
    Clients connected to my lan: iphone 4s, ipad mini, occasional laptops (mac, windows, linux) all connected wireless and a linux home server connected by rj45 running file server, time capsule, nothing extreme.

My network speed inside my lan is really slow, REALLY slow. File transfers are slow, connecting between computer are really slow. Distance between airports are 5meters distance, what info can I gather to find where is the bottleneck??

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Interference would cause this. Try resetting both base stations and trying again. If they are only 15 m apart, why not just run Ethernet?

3. aleza84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Beacuse extreme is connecter to high speed modem and I cant move it, and needed more signal at the other side of the house and cant run a cable there.

I rebooted them, many times. The problem is the lan speed, a file transfer takes ages.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try resetting as in putting a paper clip in the reset hole and plugging the base station in and holding until the light flashes rapidly.

5. eduardrw, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

eduardrw macrumors 6502

Have you tried power line ethernet.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4jnygokjeu_b

When you use WIFI to extend you wireless network you effectively cut your speed in half.

If you can run via power line ethernet to your AE and "create a wireless network" you will have greater range and higher throughput.

To debug you can use the following:
    - hold Option key while clicking on the WIFI icon shows you a lot of data - make sure the AE's are on different channels
    - WIFI Scanner http://wifiscanner.com/wifiscanner.html Software to debugg your WIFI Network. Make sure you are using WIFI channels which are least crowded.