Lance Armstrong ran another marathon

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
why is that bad? sure he's in good shape, but cycling and running are two totally different experiences. if this was a cycling challenge and he did horrible... criticize away.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Twood is a competitive distance runner (as am I), so he knows of what he speaks.

I agree with him. At his competitive peak, Lance had probably the highest VO2 max on the planet. Even though cycling uses different muscles than running, VO2 max has traditionally been thought of as the single best indicator of distance running ability. The difficulty of developing "running muscles" is absolutely trivial compared to the difficulty of achieving a VO2 max anything close to what Lance has (had?).

I'm not saying 2:46 is bad, but that time isn't even elite for female marathon runners. I'm sure he doesn't train for marathons like he trained for cycling, but I'd still expect the guy with the single best score in the world on the most important metric of distance running ability to be capable of more.
Maybe he's just off the drugs now.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Twood is a competitive distance runner (as am I), so he knows of what he speaks.

I agree with him. At his competitive peak, Lance had probably the highest VO2 max on the planet. Even though cycling uses different muscles than running, VO2 max has traditionally been thought of as the single best indicator of distance running ability. The difficulty of developing "running muscles" is absolutely trivial compared to the difficulty of achieving a VO2 max anything close to what Lance has (had?).

I'm not saying 2:46 is bad, but that time isn't even elite for female marathon runners. I'm sure he doesn't train for marathons like he trained for cycling, but I'd still expect the guy with the single best score in the world on the most important metric of distance running ability to be capable of more.
Maybe he's just off the drugs now.
thank you. in fact, i was told he has the highest VO2 max of anyone ever tested when he took the test. something like 98 or so (going off memory, i'll try to look it up).

but QC, you knew exactly what was going thru my mind :cool:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i was told wrong about him having the highest, or a score of 98. here is what i found

"He is near but not at the top aerobically, having a VO2 max of 83.8 mL/kg/min — much higher than the average person (40-50) but not as high as that of some other elite cyclists, such as Miguel Indurain (88.0, although reports exist that Indurain tested at 92-94) or Greg LeMond (92.5).[2] His heart is 30% larger than average; however, an enlarged heart is a common trait for many other athletes. He has a resting heart rate of 32-34 beats per minute with a max heart rate at 201 bpm.[3] Armstrong's most unusual attribute may be his low lactate levels. During intense training, the levels of most racers range from 12 μL/kg to as much as 20 μL/kg; Armstrong is below 6 μL/kg. The result is that less lactic acid accumulates in Armstrong's system, therefore it is possible that he feels less fatigue from severe efforts, and this may contribute to his ability to sustain the same level of physical effort as other elite racers with less fatigue and faster recovery times"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.