Lance Armstrong ran another marathon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Nov 6, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

Here is the link

he ran 2:46, which is 13 minutes faster than the last time he ran one, but still not all that great, considering who he is

2. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

are you a distance runner? it is really tough to do well in a new race if you're not mentally ready for it. it can take a couple of races before you are.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why is that bad? sure he's in good shape, but cycling and running are two totally different experiences. if this was a cycling challenge and he did horrible... criticize away.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I did not know he was the 7 time RUNNING (Marathon) champion of the Tour de France.:rolleyes:

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The real news is Katie Holmes ran in the same marathon without a sports bra. Not that it looked great, just the shear mechanics of running 42k with no support.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Twood is a competitive distance runner (as am I), so he knows of what he speaks.

I agree with him. At his competitive peak, Lance had probably the highest VO2 max on the planet. Even though cycling uses different muscles than running, VO2 max has traditionally been thought of as the single best indicator of distance running ability. The difficulty of developing "running muscles" is absolutely trivial compared to the difficulty of achieving a VO2 max anything close to what Lance has (had?).

I'm not saying 2:46 is bad, but that time isn't even elite for female marathon runners. I'm sure he doesn't train for marathons like he trained for cycling, but I'd still expect the guy with the single best score in the world on the most important metric of distance running ability to be capable of more.
    Maybe he's just off the drugs now.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thank you. in fact, i was told he has the highest VO2 max of anyone ever tested when he took the test. something like 98 or so (going off memory, i'll try to look it up).

but QC, you knew exactly what was going thru my mind :cool:

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i was told wrong about him having the highest, or a score of 98. here is what i found